Any A/C gurus out there???

Just wondering if there are any A/C experts lurking here who might be able to help me with a prob?? My '71 A/C is acting up and I have no clue as to how to fix it. Ice forms on the lines (under hood) up to a certain point and then stops. No cool air comes into the passenger compartment. If anyone might be able to help, e-mail me off list, and I'll try to explain it further. I have know idea what the part is called that's stopping my freon flow.

Big D

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their is a small valve on the bottom of the compressor box that has a very small mesh screen that may be plugged up. We had the problem . We replaced it stayed with #12 Freon and boy does it get cold.

It could just be that it is low on freon if it shuts itself down after a short itme of running. If there is no cold air getting in, sounds like there may be a problem with the door changing positions in the heater box.

Feel the lines when the compressor is running. the pressure line out of the compressor will be hot (hot enough to burn you) then where it goes into the condensor it will be still be hot but cooler, you can move your hand around on the condensor and it should get cooler as you get closer to the outlet of it, the line going to the receiver/dryer will still be warm, and the line that goes into the heater/ac box will be warm. From the compressor to the heater box the lines should gradually cool down, the froen goes from a hot gas and gradually cools to a warm liquid, if there is an abrubt temp change in the line, that's were the blockage is. Is there any air in the sight glass when running? It's normal for it to form ice on the suction lines while running, after the warm (liquid) freon goes through the expansion valve (in the heater box) it should be converted to a cold gas (instead of the warm liquid it just was) and then it goes through the evaporator and gets sucked back into the compressor to start over again. So as the prevous post stated, it could be the expansion valve isn't letting enough freon through and it is causing a blockage and won't let it perform as it should.

I just noticed that this is your first posting, welcome to the boards smile.gif Not everyone gets this carried away with the answers that you are looking for smile.gif

Don

[This message has been edited by hamster (edited 07-20-2003).]

If you have access to A/C gauges, a vacumm on the low side will tell you if you have a restriction or a reading of less than 20 PSI will indicate low freon. Both of these symptons can cause freezing.

------------------

1970bb.jpg

My Monte's

If it sounds like Thunder!!! Me and My Monte have just rolled in!!!

1970 MC SS or one heck of a clone Needs restored

1970 MC 350/350

1998 F*%& WinStar

2002 Dodge Ram