installing a drivers remote mirror

DDay

I am going to install a remote mirror. I'm wondering where the placement of the bezel and toggle are on the door panel. Is there a diagram out there or has anyone done this? I don't have the panel off yet so I don't know if there is a knockout.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Don, the '70 Assembly Manual has a page for the D33 Remote Mirror option, but it shows no dimensions for hole or screw locations, implying that they are already in the door panel core or at least marked as a knock out.  I would take the panel off and look for one.  

What is more amazing to me is that the manual says to use the existing holes in the outer door skin to mount the base of the mirror so I wonder if Fisher Body did that before it went to the Assembly plant.  The fore and aft positioning of the mirror base can make a significant difference in what you see across the range of mirror adjustment.   Unless you have some specific location dimensions or references, I would mask the base of the mirror and try various positions based on normal diving conditions, (although that may not be so easy or even possible with the cable extending through the base).

You can get a rough idea of the factory placement relative to the A pillar and door edge in the attached photo.  Sorry I can't find a close up.

post-567-0-54395000-1448204038_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guy's! I'm just waiting for the gasket to come in the mail. I removed the aftermarket mirror and yes the mounting holes are there. I would guess that yes, Fisher pre drilled these holes to simplify the D33 remote option (paint reasons?). Again thanks guys!

Don

• 1 month later...