HELP WITH SETTING TIMING AFTER VORTEC HEAD SWAP

tortu15071

I am setting the timing on my 350 that I just swapped some 97 vortec heads on. I am trying to set my initial timing at 20° to equal a total timing of around 30°. My timing tab is at 2 o clock on the timing cover. My timing tab does not read past 12°. Can anyone help me set an accurate timing past 12°? Do they make a timing tab extension? Any help is appreciated

The timing tape will go around the balancer depending on the type of pointer you have it could be hard to read. I have timing tap on my big block and the pointer on the timing cover has 4° before top dead center and 4° after with a line at 0°. I have heard stories of the balancer being off so engine builders will make their own line on the balancer.

the description of the balancer says that there is a single line on the balancer every 90 degrees. if the engine starts and runs ok then you either have the timing light hooked to the wrong plug wire or the balancer is not assembled correctly. If the engine runs poorly the distributor timing may be that far off.