Carpet

John S

I'm looking for carpeting for Monte. Legendary does not have for 70 Monte 4 spd with console, but has it for Chevelle 4 spd w/console. Will that fit? I think it should I know the Monte is longer but are the interiors should be the same, yes, no?

John S

When I replaced my carpet last year it came from ACC. It is the newer style plush type with mass backing. Cost me more for the mass backing but the car is so much quieter inside it was well worth the extra cost. They also put the mass backing on the standard carpet and if you are running nosier exhaust system I highly the mass backing. With the old standard carpet we had to run the stereo on the number 22 setting and with this new carpet the radio is set on 8 or 9 setting and we still can carry on a conversation without yelling at each other..

Wasn't all that yelling too each other part of the Classic Car experience Larry?  :whistle:   With the 72 Custom, the floor soundproofing was standard.  Wonder if I added more, if it quiet further down the cabin?  Or would it create only a headache to work with. 

Doug

The Parts Place has a specific part number(IN3152Z) for '70-'72 Monte Carlo carpet with manual transmission and a console. That's what I installed a couple years ago in my '70 4-speed. The carpet was okay but I was not impressed with the thickness of the backing so I left the original backing in place as a "carpet pad" to reduce noise and heat transfer. Seems to fit, look and work fine so far.

Link to photo journal: http://s912.photobucket.com/user/dbengtson4/library/Installing%20new%20carpet

post-567-0-04632600-1451522315_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-42206300-1451522339_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-11571200-1451522394_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-93735600-1451522465_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-46356700-1451522488_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah I looked at that Larry and looks easy to work with.  Not sure how well it actually soundproofs though.  Even so, I was more thinking out loud than anything else.  If I did do it, I would have the interior removed only if a more pressing need exists making it the perfect time.

Doug

Got my console, harness, and rear bracket all originals from Leo @  Koniks Klassiks. Did a quick trial fit, very impressed with the parts and Leo's vast knowledge. will post more as I get further along.

John Spost-1221-0-31584700-1452130516_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-18023500-1452130545_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-34955000-1452131354_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got the carpet in the other day. ACC, talked to them on phone told them I had 4 spd with console . I got carpeting for 4 spd without console. Will that fit? It doesn't look right and I don't want to make a cut if it won't work. Cannot return then.

John S

Had the Retail Business shipped it in error, they should accept returns.  If that's the case, I would press them for an exchange.   ;)  I don't know what the difference is in Carpet (Console / 4 Speed / Column), so need to carefully measure for fitment before making altercations.  If refused return, maybe you can sell it yourself, exchange elsewhere and get the correct application. 

Based on pictures, your Cabin looks very nice nice.   :)    

Doug

Got the carpet in the other day. ACC, talked to them on phone told them I had 4 spd with console . I got carpeting for 4 spd without console. Will that fit? It doesn't look right and I don't want to make a cut if it won't work. Cannot return then.

John S

I'm not sure if you actually have a problem, John. The key difference in a front carpet for a 4-speed (console or not) is enough material and the proper shaping to cover the extra "hump" on the driver's side of the transmission tunnel. The floor shifter is in the same place whether console or not so that's where a cut-out must be (although its shape and size may be slightly different).

My carpet from the Parts Place actually came from ACC. It was designated for a 4-speed and it fit correctly. It did not come with a cut-out - I had to do that so I simply used the original carpet as a pattern for the size and location of the cut-out (see photos below). Even if the carpet you received from ACC already had a floor cut-out, I would be very surprised if your console won't completely cover it.

I can't remember if you already have a 4-speed or if you are doing an auto to manual conversion. If you already have a 4-speed, the best way I know to confirm the fit without cutting the new carpet (so you can still return it if necessary) is to pull out the original carpet and use it for a pattern. You can then either carefully compare measurements or even lay it over the new carpet for cut-out location.

P1130119.jpg

P1130132.jpg

P1130135.jpg

According to eng numbers and research I've done it is orig. 4 spd. For some reason it did not have console. I removed old trans tunnel and welded in proper tunnel for console. On the new carpet you can see the carpet has sharp creases molded for the non console square shifter opening. Dennis I looked at your pictures on photobucket and the picture you took of the underside of the frt. half of the carpeting does not look like mine. Not even close. I do not want to make any cuts otherwise I own it. This is an ACC carpet from OPGI. Their site states for a 4 spd but does not say console or non console. ACC web site states there is a difference between console and non console there are two different part #s but only for Chevelle, Monte Carlo only offers one carpet for auto.

John, it sure sounds like you have a specific carpet for a 4-speed non console car. I can't quite picture the creases in the carpet but they must indicate a larger, more square area than the console shifter requires. If your console will not cover the visible uniqueness of your new carpet (i.e. creases or cut-outs), then you may want to return it. All I know is that I apparently lucked out by getting a carpet that works and looks good with my factory 4-speed console setup.

Again, the carpet I bought from the Parts Place was designated by part number to be for a 4-speed Monte Carlo, not a Chevelle. Someone in the club may know if a Chevelle 4-speed w/console carpet will work. It seems that it should, but I can't say for sure.

I will check with the parts place and ACC tomorrow. The carpet in the car now is like the one in your pictures the and fit good when I trial fit it. Problem is previous owner cut one side too big and the console does not cover the hole it left in it. One way or another I'll figure it out.

John s

I encourage anybody doing  new carpet to get the mass backing on the acc carpet ,I have a stock 454 ,with factory manifolds and I have been dealing with interior heat issues /sound for 35 plus years ,this past summer I installed dynamat and new acc with the mass / rubber backing , WOW what a difference ,my car runs so much cooler and quieter ,I can now here my radio and my wife talking.

I put in the mass backing ACC carpet with Dynamat look alike last winter and I also can really tell the difference. Radio used to have to be on 21 volume to hear and now only 8 or 9 on the Retro-Sound radio and the floor is much cooler and I am only running a 350 with 2 1/2" stainless exhaust.

• 1 month later...