Restoring while driving it ?

Hi,

I own my 72 Monte since 72.

The car spent most of his life in Orange County and I shipped it to Europe in 2011. 

Climate is pretty wet here and surface rust appeared on multiple place. The rear window channel has a bas spot, and water leaks through the trunk and cabine.

On the plus side, engine is running well, and tranny shifts firmly. Interior is nice.

I have no special skills at bodywork but I'm ok to learn.

I'm looking for some guidance on how to restore my while I keep driving it ?

What are the good practices ? 

I know my question may sounds a bit dumb, but I do not want to start work I won't finish.

Thank you

I am still driving my '71 while restoring it as I work on body during winter and paint it with epoxy primer in spring then drive it during summer/fall.

I didn't havery much body work experience as Tony gave me some advices like work with small area first as I begun with trunk and was able to work on roof, side and quarter panels last year. Then protect by applying epoxy primer - I plan to work on doors this winter.

Hope that help with your plan?

Thanks for your inputs.

Like Rick did, I will begin with trunk.

It's still in pretty good shape, but it's getting more and more water and has some surface rust. 

As you said, epoxy primer will be applied on bare metal. 

The car is parked outside my house, so any work I start have to be finished as fast as possible.  

post-578-0-11689100-1452086139_thumb.jpg