Tire Size

I just picked up a 72 Monte and I'm planing on putting 15x7 rally wheels on it. I saw on the wheel and tire database you started that someone put 245/60/15's on their stock Monte Carlo without any rubbing problems. I just wanted to verify that is an allowable tire size for all 4 tires before I order them.

Mike 

Ok, here's my next question. A guy in my area is selling tires and wheels he has on his '70 Chevelle and claims they will fit my '72 Monte without any modifications. They are Rally Wheels, the fronts are 15x7 with 225/70/15's and the rears are 15x10 deep dish with 275/60/15's. Will those fit?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

the rears are 15x10 deep dish with 275/60/15's. Will those fit?

"deep dish" does not explain the back spacing...but it does say in a way that the back spacing is small. To obtain a "deep dish" effect on say that 10" wheel the b.s. would have to like 4" which is less than half the width of the wheel. That would never fit on our Montes. 

5" is the ideal b.s. on an 8" rim with a 275/60/15 tire.

6" of b.s. would be needed on that 10" rim...1" extra in and leaving the other extra 1" out towards the fender lip. I would bet money even if that was accomplished the 10" rim would be stretching the sidewall out that it may hit the fender lip or the inner wheel well. Actually I am curious now if it would fit... :)

Regardless my better bet would be those 10" wheels do not have 6" of b.s.   ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up picking up 15x8 rally wheels with 4" backspacing and 255/60R15 tires. I believe these will work based on the info from this thread and the wheel and tire database that is up as well. Right?

Mike 

• Like 1

I mounted 15x8 Corvette Rally wheels and 255/60R15 Mastercraft Avenger GT's.

The rear tires rubbed a little due to the original springs being worn. I was planning on putting on new cargo coil springs and a friend told me to instead use station wagon springs from a 75 Vista Cruiser. I believe I will also have to bend in the fender lip to prevent any future rubbing. What is the best way to bend in that fender lip, I don't want to mangle the wheel well trim or damage the fender?

Also, the front tires rub when I make a very sharp turn into a driveway or parking lot, is there anything I can do to fix this problem? The tire appears to be rubbing on the plastic wheel well on each side depending on if I turn left or right. Thanks for any tips,

Mike 

What is the back space measurement on your 15X8 Corvette rims? If it is only 4" that is almost certainly the cause of poor clearance on the rear with 255x60s. A backspace of 4.5" is probably minimum and a 5" backspace would be even better. Higher rate springs on the back may not buy you much, if anything, if your tire sidewall is too close to the wheel well cutout on your quarter panels. Wider rims and fatter tires on the rear of our first gen Montes need greater than stock backspacing to move the extra "meat" inboard where there is plenty of room.

Don't know whether your front tires are rubbing on the inside or outside of your inner fenders. I have 255x60s in front on 15X7 rims with 4" BS and found that a 1" spacer doughnut (see photos below) was needed in the front coil to eliminate tire rubbing on tight, full-lock turns.

post-567-0-39280500-1457226758_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-71359900-1457226775_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-28168900-1457226801_thumb.jpg

The back spacing on 15x8's is 4". I'll have to look into getting some of those doughnut spacers for the front springs to prevent the rubbing when the wheel is turned.

Mike 

245/60s on 15x8 Vette rallys rubbed the quarter lip on all three of my Montes I've owned. I bent the lip a little to get it to work on my 72 and then on my 70. I only run 7 inch rallys on my 71 now. As for the front, if you still have the original springs which have sagged by now, you will rub on the front too when turning. If my 245s rubbed on 3 of my Montes, those 255s are almost certain to rub on yours.

I mounted 15x8 Corvette Rally wheels and 255/60R15 Mastercraft Avenger GT's.

The rear tires rubbed a little due to the original springs being worn. I was planning on putting on new cargo coil springs and a friend told me to instead use station wagon springs from a 75 Vista Cruiser. I believe I will also have to bend in the fender lip to prevent any future rubbing. What is the best way to bend in that fender lip, I don't want to mangle the wheel well trim or damage the fender?

Also, the front tires rub when I make a very sharp turn into a driveway or parking lot, is there anything I can do to fix this problem? The tire appears to be rubbing on the plastic wheel well on each side depending on if I turn left or right. Thanks for any tips,

Mike 

Putting new OEM springs in the front of my 70 solved the rubbing issue for me. My 72 had blocks in the front springs which also helped but those blocks weren't the best long term solution.