Aftermarket Gauge Recommendations

Droff

I would like to replace the gauges in my '70 with updated versions. I am going with a new dash insert, either bought or fabricated, so there are no concerns with fitment, I can make the hole dimensions whatever size I need. I'll have a new wiring harness as well, the original has been butchered.

I'm looking for either mechanical or electrical, either white or black. From what I've seen, mechanical is less money, but anyone have a preference?

Gauges I need are oil, fuel, voltage, temp, speedo and tach.

So, any recommendation or preferences for a gauge set up and/or a new dash insert? I've looked at the Classic Dash, not sure if that's a typical price or not..

Thanks.

I just bought a set of gauges for another project at www.speedhut.com

They offer GPS speedometers, so no fooling around with Speedo Cables, gear ratios etc.

And you can design your gauges yourself.

Very competive pricing against Autometer! They frequently have a 20% off sale, so join their email list!

• Like 1

I just bought a set of gauges for another project at www.speedhut.com

They offer GPS speedometers, so no fooling around with Speedo Cables, gear ratios etc.

And you can design your gauges yourself.

Very competive pricing against Autometer! They frequently have a 20% off sale, so join their email list!

I am going this route when time comes

I went with the Classic Instruments conversion just like the ebay posting above. The one shown in that add is the Velocity Series in Black. They offer several color and font options for the gauge face itself, you can even customize the pointer any color or style you choose. I liked the old school look of the needles vs digital. The gauges fit very good and work perfect, wiring was pretty easy too. If you go this route make sure you opt for the Sky Drive gps speedo, otherwise you will probably have some jumping of the speedo needle as I did (maybe). With out the Sky Drive option it uses a pulse signal generator (flux capacitor LOL) that plugs into your regular speedo gears at the trans. I found this was problematic and finally went with the gps set up. The guys at Dannys speed shop blew away any prices I seen anywhere, I would certainly call and get their price if your interested in these gauges

http://shop.classicinstruments.com/1970-72-chevelle-ss-package

http://shop.classicinstruments.com/sn81

http://www.dannysrods.com/

• Like 1

GPS Speedo! That is very slick.

David

Yeah, I converted the Autometer Speedo in my Monte to GPS as well and it works great! Love it!

Cory - In that cluster it looks like the 3 spots where the warning lights are located are blacked out.  Do they still get used or are they now in the speedo/tach?  I'm caught between these gauges you reference, Dakota VHX, New Vintage or Parts Place full stock gauge package.

I also like the GPS idea.  How well does it work in downtown areas with larger buildings etc?

I also like the GPS idea.  How well does it work in downtown areas with larger buildings etc?

If you actually need a speedo in a busy downtown area with these type of buildings you are going to fast!

The Dakota VHX is a nice setup and can be used with gps sensor for the speedo. I have it in my 70 carbon face blue lighting and love the add on's it has. I current have it set to monitor the trans temp place keep an eye on the volts, and oil psi. The Dakota set uses all the stock openings in the cluster. The Dakota Digtal dash uses back out plates. My 72 I left the stock gauge cluster in it and added my old Auto meter gauges under the dash.

Drew you right about few dollars. I paid a little over $900 for my VHX cluster and that was straight from Dakota Digital. I added the trans temp sensor to keep an eye on my 700r4 trans fluid temp which stays at 150° even when the car is at 215°. If you go to Dakota they can change the light color. One thing to keep in mind with the VHX cluster the head light switch will not dim the cluster they sell a dimmer switch so you can dim the cluster. The other Dakota dash is all digital with block out plates where the amp gauge, water temp and fuel gauge is at.