Install trunk tension rod

abe72

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this.

One of the trunk tension rods broke (driver side) trunk will not stay up. Is this something that can be replaced and installed fairly easy? I've heard that it can be a pain. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Abe

Hey Abe,

I had one of mine break a few months ago and I finally decided to replace it.  I ordered a replacement set and got them just this week.  Here is a link to the ones I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201512881812?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've never replaced them before in any car so this will be my first go at it.  I will probably give it a try in the next few days or so.

I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks!!
Mike

what about installing those long gas charged cylinders that lift up rear hatches in small suv's..?????..they can be found cheap and I think would look kinda cool/different

Hey Abe,

Well I finally got around to installing my new trunk torsion rods.  Here is an overview of what I learned:

- You do not have to empty everything out of your trunk like I did.  I did all of the work from the rear of the car.

- There is a LEFT and RIGHT side torsion rod so I would recommend that you figure out which one goes where before you start.

- Don't take the 2nd original one out until you replace the first one.  You can use it as a reference if needed.

- The only tools needed are a light and a (2) Vise Grips.

- Use one Vise Grip to hold the trunk lid open while you are working.  The 2nd one will be used when applying tension to the rod at the end.

- When you install the rod, insert the smaller end in the bracket first, then get the larger end in place and then apply tension to the smaller end last.

- It took about 20 minutes to install the first rod (because I had to figure it out first) and then about 10 minutes to do the second rod.

- The aftermarket rods do not have as much spring in them as the original so you may have to use the "highest tension" slot when installing.

Hope this helps.  I made some videos of the process but have not had time to post them yet.

Good luck!!
Mike

Hey Abe,

Well I finally got around to installing my new trunk torsion rods.  Here is an overview of what I learned:

- You do not have to empty everything out of your trunk like I did.  I did all of the work from the rear of the car.

- There is a LEFT and RIGHT side torsion rod so I would recommend that you figure out which one goes where before you start.

- Don't take the 2nd original one out until you replace the first one.  You can use it as a reference if needed.

- The only tools needed are a light and a (2) Vise Grips.

- Use one Vise Grip to hold the trunk lid open while you are working.  The 2nd one will be used when applying tension to the rod at the end.

- When you install the rod, insert the smaller end in the bracket first, then get the larger end in place and then apply tension to the smaller end last.

- It took about 20 minutes to install the first rod (because I had to figure it out first) and then about 10 minutes to do the second rod.

- The aftermarket rods do not have as much spring in them as the original so you may have to use the "highest tension" slot when installing.

Hope this helps.  I made some videos of the process but have not had time to post them yet.

Good luck!!

Mike, 

Thank you for the right up on this. I'm more of a visual person, so yes pictures and videos would be very helpful to me. One question, what do you mean you did the work from the rear of the car? I'm still shopping around for the rods, those things are pricey (I think) 75 - 45 per set.

Thanks again,

Abe

Abe, maybe you don't want to risk wasting your time by installing a used set of springs, but I wonder if you have contacted Leo or Jared to see if they have a good used set? Also, every first gen Monte (and possibly many other A bodies of that vintage) that goes to a salvage yard with the trunk deck intact possibly has a usable set of springs in place. I suggest getting on the phone with a local salvage yard or two and seeing what you come up with. You may have to remove them yourself but it's probably just a reverse of the installation process Mike outlined above. Good luck.

Hey Abe,

The set that I purchased was $65 with free shipping.  I also did some shopping around and thought that was the best price I could find.

When I said that "I did all of the work from the rear of the car" I meant that I was able to install both rods while standing outside of the trunk at the rear bumper.  I just opened the trunk and leaned in to install the rods.

Also, I tried to upload my videos to Photobucket but I guess they are too large because it gets to 90% and then stops.  I tried it several times from 2 different computers without any success.  If you think pictures would help I can take some of the installed springs and post them instead.

Thanks!!
Mike

Hey Mike

If you can post or send anything that will help on the install i would appreciate it.

I had one break over the winter as well.

Abe,

When yours snapped did it cause any damage? when my snapped it hit the inside of the quarter panel right behind the tail light and spider-ed the paint on the out side. :mad:

Abe,

When yours snapped did it cause any damage? when my snapped it hit the inside of the quarter panel right behind the tail light and spider-ed the paint on the out side. :mad:

Bummer, Vince! It's always something unexpected ...

Dennis,

It did not cause any damage. In fact, as I opened the trunk I heard fall onto the trunk floor. Got luck I guess.

Sorry to hear bout your fender damage.

Abe

Dennis,

It did not cause any damage. In fact, as I opened the trunk I heard fall onto the trunk floor. Got luck I guess.

Sorry to hear bout your fender damage.

Abe

Appreciate your comment, Abe - it was actually Vince's Monte that was damaged.

To hijack this thread.....What slots are the rods supposed to be in? Apparently mine are too tight because the trunk lid will fly up when opened. I haven't crawled in there yet as my trunk is full for winter storage and the car is buried in the garage.

To hijack this thread.....What slots are the rods supposed to be in? Apparently mine are too tight because the trunk lid will fly up when opened. I haven't crawled in there yet as my trunk is full for winter storage and the car is buried in the garage.

Good question. Mine are in the middle slot and springs up pretty good, which slot would reduce the tension?