front alignment specs

Hi, I'm restoring a 71 Monte Carlo. I have done a complete rebuild of the front suspension, and will have the front end alignment done soon. I replaced the stock spindles with two inch drop spindles. Will this change the front end alignment specs? If so where would I find the new specs?  Thanks, Paul

See attached article from 1990, about changing the specs like they did to cars after the mid 1970's since they all had power steering.

post-76-0-82019500-1455844128_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-05721600-1455844126_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-97718500-1455844122_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...

Hi Gents - completed my restoration and now need an alignment.  I didn’t see the alignment specs in the article (3 pages of ?) of this chain.  Do you all go with 3 or 5 degrees of positive camber?  New front modern suspension (not dropped spindles) and 235 x70s and quick ration power steering.  Sounds like A bodies migrated to the MC 73-77 spec but wasn’t sure what everyone recommends. Thanks,  Keith. 

C30B43BD-574B-42F8-B058-4BB99B08AC57.jpeg

• Like 1

I took the 3 pages to my local ft end shop and asked him to set my 71 stock Monte up for better handling. I also replaced my 7/8" ft anti-sway bar with a 1-1/8" I got at a swap meet. 

On 7/17/2023 at 7:27 AM, Alex & Keith 72 Monte said:

Hi Gents - completed my restoration and now need an alignment.  I didn’t see the alignment specs in the article (3 pages of ?) of this chain.  Do you all go with 3 or 5 degrees of positive camber?  New front modern suspension (not dropped spindles) and 235 x70s and quick ration power steering.  Sounds like A bodies migrated to the MC 73-77 spec but wasn’t sure what everyone recommends. Thanks,  Keith. 

You'll want as much positive caster as you can get, with stock control arms you'll probably max out at 2-3 degrees. You should be able to get 4-6 degrees with certain aftermarket control arms. I'll be taking these specs to my shop in a few weeks to get an alignment.

image.png.1dbcdb5f004d5fa2d56e2d22fd4e2eca.png

Ridetech has great information on tuning your suspension, including adjusting alignment if the car shows certain behaviors.

https://ridetech.com/tech/suspension-tuning-guide-high-performance-vehicles/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I replaced the passenger side upper control arm bushings and the center link. All other parts are tight and in great shape. I didn't have time to play with the castor and camber shims, so I did a quick toe adjustment and called it a day. She drives much better and no longer favors the right side of the road. I have the alignment machine available next week and will go after that positive castor of 2 to 3 degrees.. 

IMG_0567.jpeg.f268533fef9bf206abc31500de28fbfe.jpegIMG_0620.jpeg.b9ff0522deaa68c46e6037791db99562.jpeg 

1 hour ago, stangeba said:

Cool, I have never seen this alignment machine, thanks!

I feel lucky having this hobby shop 17 miles from my home… It's over 10,000 sf, with modern equipment, and about 12 racks / with tools to do anything needed on my car.

The place is fully staffed with mechanics who will do the work for an additional fee or give free guidance and information.  It's like having my own personal shop with 6 mechanics without the overhead. Pizza place is next door… Great place to hang out with some really great people who are willing to share information… 100 miles to Summit Racing ,,,,  What could possibly be wrong with that ?  😀