Adding a chrome right mirror

https://1971montecarlo.wordpress.com/2016/02/26/adding-a-chrome-right-side-mirror/

Many years ago I added a right chrome mirror to my 71 Monte.

I wrote it up with pictures and posted it to my old web page.

That web page is gone, so I made a new web site.

The above link, hopefully, will take you to it, If not, please let me know.

Bruce

Bruce, great write up, dig the pictures. I remember I had the body guy install mine and used the wrong gasket. I re-installed it myself, the nuts were a pain to tighten as you mentioned. Oh and had more than a few scraches on my hands. Overall I think its well worth it, kinda balances out the car someway, not to mention the safty feature.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Arise from the dead ancient thread! Bruce's write up is too good to keep buried...

One question, has anyone installed the chrome non remote mirror from The Parts Place? I would imagine that it is the same mirror that Ausley's sells but I had a friend install the one from The Parts Place and it didn't look as level as Bruce's mirror. Maybe it was an installation error, but I wanted to check before drilling holes in my door!

• Like 1

Go to Morris concepts. I think that is the name. I bought three different mirrors and they all failed in less than a year. More expensive but worth to avoid the hassle 

1 hour ago, Leghome said:

Go to Morris concepts. I think that is the name. I bought three different mirrors and they all failed in less than a year. More expensive but worth to avoid the hassle 

This is the passenger side mirror that matches the remote chrome mirror on the driver side..does Morris have one that matches the remote one these days?

That I do not know. It might be worth a phone call to check it out. I used Morris because both of my mirrors had failed to stay in place from three different companies

• Like 1

My right mirror I added will not stay in position after closing the door or hitting bumps.

Bruce

On 7/26/2019 at 8:53 AM, stangeba said:

My right mirror I added will not stay in position after closing the door or hitting bumps.

Bruce

Well dang,  that kinda defeats the purpose.  LOL

• 2 months later...

https://1971montecarlo.wordpress.com/2016/02/26/adding-a-chrome-right-side-mirror/

so it looks like 80$ to match my driver remote mirror. I don’t think I’ve ever seen these before on a car. I worry that the angle is different for a Monte than a Chevelle can you post more pics of the “chunky chrome” passenger side mirrors? 

http://www.chevelle.com/1970-72-Chevelle-Malibu-or-El-Camino-Right-Hand-Matching-Remote-Mirror-P5629.aspx

• 5 months later...

Thanks Bruce for the walkthrough but I threw in the towel for the time being as I did not have clearance for getting the rear nut in place. Just not enough clearance. For some reason I was ok drilling the outside holes but afraid to sawzall a chunk from inner door. 

afriad I have the wrong gasket anyway. May just go with reproduction thin style mirror for both sides.

On door panels- the pull-handle clips on door panels are a terrible design. Couldn’t get them to slide at all. But somehow the pot metal rivets allow it to snap back together.

Note: the photos below are some mystery mirror. It has a bend in the arm part that is not correct. Will be looking at Ausleys for passenger mirror. 

5A8B931D-9719-4392-9937-5BF9C855C813.jpeg

9F1435B1-EB89-40D9-A9C6-280C79F45B02.jpeg

1CEAB600-2EE7-461F-8D09-75D60C8F994A.jpeg

351CEEDF-B90E-4F92-867B-EDBB0957A88D.jpeg

D3B6A42D-861C-422F-91E5-DA9EEE054832.jpeg

0F2C9471-3F54-4F9B-BFF1-31966117FDC0.jpeg

I remember having a hard time adding / tightening the rear nut on my repro right mirror. I think there was a second piece of metal just at the point where I drilled the hole but by then it was too late to drill another slightly further back. Good luck!

Bruce

Has anyone installed the passenger side mirror that The Parts Place sells? It looks the part in the box, but man when I saw one installed on a 70 Monte that thing looked jacked up! It was pointed at a weird angle towards the passenger side glass. The guy swore he used the right gasket when installing - he said the other gasket had it at an even worse angle. Makes me afraid to attempt to install the one I bought from there.

I purchased one from Ausleys Chevelle parts. Same one. What you have to do is take apart the mirror, center screw. Then on the mirror housing, not the base you will see the shoulder that indexes into the base. You need to slightly trim them. So it let's the mirror sit as it is supposed to. I did it to both of the mirrors on my 70. The drivers and passenger side. The bottom pic is before I trimmed and reinstalled the driver's mirror. 2nd pic. 

IMG_20190925_172013.jpg

IMG_20190928_142427.jpg

IMG_20190925_190353.jpg

• 1 month later...

I did manage to get the bolts working. But as you can see here the mirror I have, the arm has an upward angle to it, not sure what it was off of but it’s not Gonna work on the Monte. 

D75A1F0C-34EF-459C-A6D9-002C13E3009B.jpeg

In my case (Repop Right Non- Remote, that looks like the left remote) it was just the wrong rubber base gasket, they supplied two and I picked the wrong one first. Got any other gaskets?