Fiberglass race hood

GatorDog72

My hood came in Friday. It's a 4" cowl and its a pin-on type so there's no spot to use regular hinges or front latch. I'm trying to decide on how to attach it- with regular hood pins, locking pins, dzus fasteners ect. Any ideas?  :confused:

post-1964-0-00951300-1458509139_thumb.jpg

ratchet straps.....lol just kidding.....nice hood though love to see it painted and installed

Looks just like my hood except mine is the heavier version using hood springs. I did go with pins on the front along with the factory hood latch...with yours not being able to use springs or hood latch i would say go with pins or the dzus fasteners. I used to have locking pins (Mr. Gasket) and they were hard to adjust the depth to let them lock or unlock easily. Other brands may or may not be better. I will say my locks did work well for a couple years but every so often they would get out of wack and I could not get my hood open without spending wasted time playing with them...then the thought of an engine fire and them getting stuck again made me go with basic pins.

21979060130_large.jpg

• Like 1

Bill, I ordered mine from carhoods.com after seeing yours in your car domain profile. :grin:  I like the style of the cowl, it doesn't go all the way to nose of the car like others do. It took Forever for them to make it. The website says 6-8 weeks build time, I ordered the darn thing last August!  :mad:  It's a long story but I got free shipping out of it...

I should get my car back from the shop in a week or two so to see how it fits, overall it looks nice and is super light. I was looking at the Aerocatch latches, I wonder if they work well? I'm more worried about an engine fire than thieves taking parts so the locks aren't mandatory.

keep it ....you just never  know when you want to go back again..and they don't take up much space

What are you going to do with the orig one Ryan?

Not sure, I will probably end up selling it. I would just keep it as a spare, but I can't use it. My motor sticks up too high. I don't think it will fit even without the air cleaner.

• 1 year later...

I have been looking at these hoods and the cowl looks closed in back. Has anyone opened it up for the added air flow or does everyone just paint it as is?

I have been looking at these hoods and the cowl looks closed in back. Has anyone opened it up for the added air flow or does everyone just paint it as is?

I can't dig through my car domain pictures right now but if you click one the links in my signature they will take you there. I have not reorganized my pages there in years and I noticed a while back Car Domain has jumbled mine all up so it will take a little looking through the mess to see my hood but I have a few pictures showing what I did to open it up.

• Like 1

Found you pics Bill. The two opening you cut look super clean. It just baffels me that they didn't think to make the cowl functional. I assume it was for rigidity or something like that.

• 2 months later...

I had my hood made by Glasstek.  They make both styles. Cowl to the front of the hood or set back.  I did not want a 2" or 4" cowl for my car (too racy) and with our long hoods the lower stock height scoop of a 69 camaro just looked too small.  Plus, the scoop is designed after a 69 Camaro hood and has that double raised centerline.  I like glasstek faint single line like our cars have originally.

So I purchased their flat hood and their 6" cowl scoop.  Then they grafted on their 6" cowl scoop cut down to my specs.  I wanted it cut down to 2 3/4" and the set back from front of hood as I desired (can't remember set back).   

I also had them cap off the underside of scoop (which they did with the same piece that was cut out to install cowl scoop) which was done very cleanly.  This way I could make it functional by cutting a hole for air cleaner. 

They did a great job.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...