Sam's engine build comment thead

Sam (Bones)

I am waiting for a few things from Summit to get here and hopefully will be installing the crankshaft this week :yay:

I will only install number #1 & #2 piston/rod for now to degree the cam, and to set up my adjustable timing pointer

some of you are going to ask....why only the 2 pistons? :confused:

with all of the pistons installed, and as much as you have to rotate the crank in both directions when you degree a cam, it is much easier and smoother to do so with only 2 pistons, I would like to use just 1 but I want both rods on that crank jornal

I will also be going thru rocker arm geometry (push rod length) which will not be that easy with my beehive valve springs

here is a great video from Straub Technologies on rocker arm geometry

• Like 1

Thanks so much for doing this, Sam. Reading and seeing how a major project like this goes is one of the greatest values of being a member of this club. We all know there is more than one way to do most things, but knowing at least one successful way is a great place to start.

We know you are a man of few words, but don't be afraid to explain some of the things you do and/or the reasons you do them. It will be a good learning experience for many of us and will not insult the intelligence of the more experienced engine builders, either.

Thanks again for setting up this thread!

• Like 3

Sam I've been following installs of the FItech system on the Chevelle site. Seen good reviews from some of the people over there and a few bad reviews. I think any of the self-learning system have issue. Going to try the Power Injector3 system on the 72 and it that doesn't work it's back to carb for me.

actually...this cam isn't that big, people need to stop looking at the lift numbers and concentrate on the duration and ICL/LSA, max RPM for this cam is only 5800

I don't really care about what horsepower it will make, but guessing in the neighborhood of 600 ft/lbs of torque

torque is where it's at!!!! :yay:

I'm gonna be following your posts to Sam. I find this stuff very interesting. When I go and do my big block I'm gonna be calling on you for advice and tips. Be prepared. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't take picture but was checking my main bearing clearances, they are too tight for my liking, ideally you want .0025-.003, mine were .0021, .0016, .0018, .0017, .0024

so I need to correct this before moving forward (turn crank, line hone or custom bearings :mad:

• 2 months later...

Any updates Sam?

Do you remember how much you had to mill off those heads to get the chambers down to 106cc? Angle mill? My 781's average 124cc. Did the milling affect you intake fitment? If so, would you explain what you have to do to compensate?

Thanks

Scott

• 4 months later...

I didn't build my engine this time around and it's so much more rewarding to do it yourself.

I had Mark Jones build mine and it makes 600 lbft with 8:1 compression at about 2600 rpm and above. Horsepower is something around 520.

Mark doesn't give away his recipe, but I know it is running the smallest Isky roller cam and heavily ported peanut-port heads. I also went with a Mahle piston; an upgrade he said was worth 40 hp.  It's hard to get 40 hp from any one upgrade...but the poor thing is all done at 5000 rpm.

It feels really strong on the street, but is a poor dragstrip performer.

Your build sounds like it should reach your goals easily.

• 2 months later...

I did not think so, that motor you got there has some serious HP, sounds great, cammed out...  So you swapped out the one on the build for this one? I'm looking to pull my current motor out probably next year to put in a serious 454. Working on rear end  / suspension first. Just got my Monte last month.