When it rains.....

Rock

It pours.....are dryer broke on Saturday and on Sunday I took the Monte out to stretch her legs and on the very last right we took into the driveway, the right turn signal refuses to turn off, even with the ignition off. I have to pull the ground cable off battery to stop it. I am assuming a problem in the steering column but was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this?

Never...

It keeps flashing, with the key switched to the off position, of "it" (how many) stays lit?

Bruce

Is your 4 way flasher button pushed in?

nope...even with the lever in the center and the key off the right turn signal flashes constantly.

Never...

It keeps flashing, with the key switched to the off position, of "it" (how many) stays lit?

Bruce

just the right

Turn signal

Glen it's not hard to replace. You'll have to remove the steering wheel and unplug the harness and it'll pull out through the top.

So I wont have to pull the column out?

Here are a few pics from my 71 tilt wheel if they help any.
I will look for more

I remember doing my turn signal switch repair about 9 years ago. Part was still being sold in a generic multi part pack at Canadian tire of all places. Took me about an hour including the time to make a tool to press the snap ring on the wheel. At least that what I think I did...

• Like 1

Glen,

Has anything changed or have you worked on anything steering column related recently?

Very curious as to what happened. Perhaps something broke inside the switch causing power from the 4 Way flashers to power the right T/S like that. The horn also has power with the key off. Have you changed the steering wheel?

Good luck!

Bruce

• Like 1

Glen,

Has anything changed or have you worked on anything steering column related recently?

Very curious as to what happened. Perhaps something broke inside the switch causing power from the 4 Way flashers to power the right T/S like that. The horn also has power with the key off. Have you changed the steering wheel?

Good luck!

Bruce

I think we are tackling it Saturday. I will take pictures. Pretty sure it will be a broken cam in the steering column.

Well I recieved my new signal cam and wiring harness. I am looking at this thing and when I activate the flasher on the unit how do you deactivate it? It doesn't pull out by hand, it locks in place. I am lost on how to cancel the flashers when activated....help!

post-1188-0-61341100-1463106750_thumb.jpeg

Glen you will pull out on the flasher knob to cancel the 4 way flashers.

That is what I thought but when I click it into place it doesn't want to release from just pulling out. I guess I will have to figure out why.

Well the problem was the cam, it was broken in 2 different place and the metal springs were shorting to the flasher. I will tell you it was a pain to get it apart and back together again. Took over 3 hours from start to finish. If we had the correct tools I bet it would of went faster. The column always had the problem of canceling a left turn before turning the wheel back. So it was never working the correct way. Now it works correctly on both left and right turns and the flashers now work and they did not before. Yah!

• Like 1

When I worked in a garage many moons ago, this was a common repair. Every GM car had the same setup. We had a neat set of tools to do the job and it wasn't bad.

It's a different story when you have to improvise with tiny screwdrivers and such at home. Grrr.

After looking at that plastic part and seeing how it works, I'm amazed it works more than a couple of times. Somehow it lasts for years... Still, I am reluctant to move the turn signal lever all the way. I am fine with just pushing the lever until the lights function, and holding the lever in that position. I have never been comfortable snapping it on and letting it self-cancel.

Before I saw how it worked, I was fine with it. LOL

Oh, and what's with that 4-way hazard switch? Easy to turn it on, but you think you're going to pull the knob off trying to shut it off.

• Like 1

When I worked in a garage many moons ago, this was a common repair. Every GM car had the same setup. We had a neat set of tools to do the job and it wasn't bad.

It's a different story when you have to improvise with tiny screwdrivers and such at home. Grrr.

After looking at that plastic part and seeing how it works, I'm amazed it works more than a couple of times. Somehow it lasts for years... Still, I am reluctant to move the turn signal lever all the way. I am fine with just pushing the lever until the lights function, and holding the lever in that position. I have never been comfortable snapping it on and letting it self-cancel.

Before I saw how it worked, I was fine with it. LOL

Oh, and what's with that 4-way hazard switch? Easy to turn it on, but you think you're going to pull the knob off trying to shut it off.

pretty sure I broke the old flasher pulling on it to release it. The new one I did some tweaking to get it to release smoother.