swapping frames..

kc8oye

ok.. here's my situation, i've got a busted up frame..s o I'm gonna just do a complete frame swap (got a new frame from Leo)... but as far as the actual swap..

how hard would it be to do it with a minimum of stripping? I.E take the front apart.. from the firewall forward.. and just unbolting what has to be? Steering, brake lines, fuel lines body electrical.. did I miss anything?

and with using the 4x4 method.. jack the body up off the frame, slip some 4x4's between the body and frame, and then raise the 4x4's with the body straight up, and roll the frame out from underneath it, swap the suspension parts I still need over to the new frame and then reverse it all?

how long would you expect this to take a couple of guys to do? (with extra manpower as needed for rasing the body)

That would work. I don't see an engine or trans listed. If they are out, fine, otherwise add that to the list. One weekend to get it apart and out. The rest of the week to swap parts and fix things you didn't know were bad. The next weekend to put the body back on the frame. Getting all the body panels to line up will take some work. Construction takes longer than destruction. Good luck.

kcBoye, Looks like 7 to 10 days. Yea, additional things alway appear. Might as well do the extra stuff (the unconsidered items)when it's apart. It'll take less time now than doing it later. Let us know how it goes. Ed

ok, great! finally some good news on this project hahah

the engine and trans are coming out of the old frame and goin right back into the new one.

I'm gonna order a body-mount hardware kit from paddock problaby... may not be the cheapest, but it will be easier to just know that I have everything.. ebrake cables are mostly disconencted now.

I'm going to replace all the brake lines on the new frame while I'm there. I need to get with leo to see if I can use his garage to get the new frame ready. I'd like to media blast it and paint it.

as for the vapor canister.. behind the backseat !?

i thought that was supposed to be upfront on the left?

AH ok.. well if it's still there, it's definately not hooked up.

I have a fuel cell in the trunk that uses uses rubber line to go to the electric fuel pump and filter in the trunk, then switches to custom-installed hard line to run up to the carb... :>

Emergency brake cable. It comes out of the body, then through the frame.

hrrrm.. ok. right now it's just kinda laying on top of my exhaust.. the two cables are still connected to the bar that ties into the single cable from the pedal.. but I know the other ends aren't hooked up to anything. IIRC they're just tucked into a hole in the frame so they don't drop out on the road heh.