Washer pump for my Monte

Ian

I have been having problems with the washer pump, so I tried to get a new one from Auto zone. The only thing they have is a electric pump that mounts in the original place. It looks like the stock one, but does not work frown.gif

I then had my wife go to NAPA to get one, same thing. Does anyone know where to get the original mechanical type pump these days?

Ian

------------------

frontshot1.jpg

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

Are you sure all the lines going to and from are good, no holes along the way. I replaced my wiper motor and came with a new washer pump, and had to replace my lines, also are you sure the switch is working you may want to use a test light and see if you are getting power.

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

site1100.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif

Along these lines, has anybody replaced the wiper motor assembly? The fluid pump portion of the wipers on my Monte failed shortly after I got her. Like Ian, I purchased a replacement pump assembly and it is electrical vs. the old mechanical design. It worked for about 15 seconds, then stopped. An indepth examination reveled that part of the motor/electrical portion has degraded/decayed over the decades, so no power is being sent to the fluid pump. As I did'nt drive the Monte in snowy/mucky weather last year and it was a dry winter it dropped down the priorities list. Its coming back up the list and I'm wondering how involved/difficult the extraction and replacement will be.

The part I don't get is that after I tried the electric replacement one, we put the original one back on and it worked. Then the next day I needed to use it and it did not work frown.gif So I think the switch is fine, but I have a intermittent working pump... The lines seem fine, I can blow thru them and get bubbles in the washer fluid tank...

Ian

The GM washer pump somtimes requires priming.

On my ElCamino I had to fill the pump & lines with water to get it to start working. When it quit working I refilled it again. After that I just lived with it. Why some pumps lose their primes? I don't know. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 project 2" chop/Green/346LS1/4L60E

• 1 year later...

I just got a pump from Advance for my Monte. The case was a little off, so I scavenged the parts off of the new one and put them in the original housing. Is it normal for that thing to make such a popping sound when it's running? :rolleyes:

Priming is the key to the pumps. You should be able to hear it working with the engine off when you push the wash button. If it is making the popping noise, the pump is running but like any fluid pump, it won't work with air when it loses the prime. I think a wearing pump diaphram or loose or degraded hoses will cause the pump to lose it's prime, and make it difficult to use. they sell repair kits for the washer pumps that include a new diaphram and cap for it if your pump is electrically good. I have used them before on other GM products I have owned with no problems.

Jim

I just did a clean/adjust/lubricate thing with my entire wiper system and motor. I found lots of areas that hadn't seen oil or grease for 30+ years, and I was able to devise ways to get oil to the areas that have "sealed bearings".

In fact, I was thinking of writing a tech article on this very subject for the newsletter...we'll see if that ever happens.

The removal/replacement of the motor as an assembly is very easy.

Wallaby this would be an excellent article! I really do hope you have the time to write it.

In fact, I was thinking of writing a tech article on this very subject for the newsletter...we'll see if that ever happens.

Which wire does what for the washer pump?

i have one that comes up from the bulkhead.. presumably the main power.. but whats the other wire do that goes down to it's own terminal on the wiper motor connector?

I just put all new lines and a new tank on.. and even siphoned washer solvent all the way up the line to the pump.. and still no go.. it doesn't wanna squirt frown