Sway bar

As you can see in this pic the rear sway bar bolt is missing and as you can see it probably isn't doing its job. How can I fix this?

13319728_900283413433185_632108732738688

I was actually talking about where it connects to the frame. In the upper right corner of the pic. you can see the bracket hanging on the back side.

I circled the problem child in red.

post-1188-0-15935800-1464800664_thumb.jpg

Glen, you are missing a 3/8-16 X 1" self-tapping bolt (see photo of actual bolt below).  That is an very common bolt size and I would be comfortable with a Grade 2 (although the factory bolt may be closer to a Grade 5) as you will strip the threads out of the frame long before you will twist off the bolt.  The replacement bolt will not need to be self-tapping if the threads in the frame are in decent shape.  Obviously, if the original bolt shank is broken off in the frame you will need to drill it and use an easy-out to remove it first.

If the threads in the frame are already stripped, you can go up one SAE size to 7/16-14 or use a metric 10 - 1.50 x 25 mm which is in between a 3/8" and 7/16" diameter.  If you have to use a larger bolt, unless it is also self-tapping (note cutting notch in the end of the bolt), I suggest running a matching tap up into the frame to make clean threads.  Since these threads will not be an interference fit (as the original self-tapped threads were), I would use a lock washer under the bolt head.

post-567-0-25891300-1464808558_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-42398900-1464808574_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-80738000-1464808586_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-13491600-1464808603_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

wasn't that hard to do, there is that large hole in the frame and used a magnet tool to hold the nut, got the nut started and then used an impact gun to tighten it-easy-peezy :D

As you can see in this pic the rear sway bar bolt is missing and as you can see it probably isn't doing its job. How can I fix this?

13319728_900283413433185_632108732738688

Hey Glen I know it was probably an oversite but if thats the REAR swaybar then you have rear disc brakes like the front ones...... :whistle:

Darren

• Like 1

Hey Glen I know it was probably an oversite but if thats the REAR swaybar then you have rear disc brakes like the front ones...... :whistle:

Darren

And independent suspension. :D

• Like 1

Interesting how the same words can be read/interpreted differently ...  I understood Glen to be referring to the rear of the two bolts holding the front sway bar mount which is clearly shown in the photo.

• Like 2

Interesting how the same words can be read/interpreted differently ...  I understood Glen to be referring to the rear of the two bolts holding the front sway bar mount which is clearly shown in the photo.

Thats good Dennis, haha I read it again an yes you are correct. It can be read in a couple of different ways and have different meaning such as looking at the picture and saying its the bolt on the Left, Right.....   hahaha

Darren