70 vinyl top early and late year

Is it true that the halo type 70 vinyl top trim was only an early 70 production then they switched to the regular type vinyl tops?

i see 2 different types check mine out on mine and you'll see what i mean

Thanks in advance  Bob

s-l500.jpg

The halo top was part of the original production but Chevrolet changed it part way through the production year. The change happened at different times at the various factories depending on when they ran out of the halo trim and switched to the newer style trim. The consensus is that Chev made the change to eliminate 2 pieces of trim and save costs. There is trim below the headlights in 1970 that was also eliminated part way through the production year for the same reason.

• Like 1

This comes up frequently. Bottom line is there is no data on when any factory switched from the "Full" halo trim to the halo trim which carried through the end of production of the FGMC in 1972. I don't know if it was a cost cutting mrasure so much as an indivivual just switching over as they ran out. This includes the trim at the bottom of the 70 headlight extensions.

My Monte is a very late production car (Late June/early July 70) out of the Baltimore plant and it has both the headlight extension trim and the "full" halo.

Just a note. The picture of your car posted above only shows the side on the halo trim which carried through all three years of the FGMC. The "Full" halo of the 1970 Monte also included a wrap of the trim all the way around the front of the roof with the body color painted surface showing all the way around the trim, including between the upper windshield trim and the Full halo trim as opposed to the final two years (71/72 and some 70's) where the halo trim ended at the upper windshield trim piece.

if you see cars where the vinyl top runs all the way to the roof gutters that was not factory but may have been either dealer or non-dealer after market installed.

rob

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

A vinyl top was a popular option that could be ordered as RPO C08. Two tone paint was also an option.  See the Tech Info section of this site to see the possible color combinations.

Not all 70-72 Montes had the vinyl top trim. You could order a Monte 3 different tops

- no vinyl top trim (body all one colour)

- vinyl top

- two tone (vinyl top trim with a painted top).

A large majority of the cars had vinyl tops from the factory though as it was a popular option at the time. In some cases dealerships made more money if they had the vinyl tops installed at the dealer so they would bring the car in from the factory without the vinyl top and have one put on. These aftermarket tops used different trim and covered the roof all the way to the drip rails.

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2016 at 1:04 AM, Canuck said:

The halo top was part of the original production but Chevrolet changed it part way through the production year. The change happened at different times at the various factories depending on when they ran out of the halo trim and switched to the newer style trim. The consensus is that Chev made the change to eliminate 2 pieces of trim and save costs. There is trim below the headlights in 1970 that was also eliminated part way through the production year for the same reason.

Canuck, what are the trim pieces below the headlights to which you are referring?

Thank you. Yeah, I don't have those. Nor do I have a full halo top. 19 19 on body tag but vinyl goes from windshield to windshield and is studded clipped above windows and behind quarter glass and along deck filler. Screw clipped at bottom of sails only. Just trying to narrow down what happened.

April built at Flint Assembly.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Canuck, what are the trim pieces below the headlights to which you are referring?

There is a thin horizontal strip of chrome under the headlights just above the bumper.

9A7E6BBF-33FE-4C9B-8E92-6D7C5F98C064.jpeg