396/402 BBC

tortu15071

I have an oppertunity to buy a complete pan to intake running 402 big block for $800. It blows blue smoke so it may need valve seals or rings. Block casting is 3999290 and has "hi perf" stamped in the heads. Any ideas if this is worth it? I currently have a 350 with vortec heads. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

I had just built the vortec 350 over the winter too and it runs great and now this 402 came up and I'd really like to make it a big block car. The motor ran good in the other car but since I'm not in desperate need of an engine I am just going to slowly build it over about 2 years time. Another question I have is that I believe the th350 will bolt to the 402? But I am not positive on that?

ā€‹The transmission will needĀ some upgrading done on it too since the big block has more torque. plan on going thru it with newĀ clutches and seals. A 2500 stall converter would be good also.Ā Gearing will Ā need to be right also 3:42 to 3:73Ā preferred if a 10bolt housing

If you are looking to restore a 402 car it may be worth it, but other than that it is a small bigĀ  block. And if it has big heads it will be a dog on bottom end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...