Intake Maniford: Torker 2-0 /Performer RMP Air-Gap

I have a BB 402 that's been running a Torker 2-0 "Angled Carb Model" for  the last 20 years.  This was fine when I wasn't living at 7000' altitude so I never changed it.  I have been on a mission recently to make it more "streetable" and gain some low end ponys back at 7000'  I love the low end power the car has or should I say had and lower elevation.  I have been looking at getting a Performer RMP Air-Gap because it opens up much earlier than the Torker 2-0.   I noticed the carb base height on the RMP is 5.22" while my Torker is 3.82"  Its already a tight fit for hood clearance with a 3" air filter.  Has or is anyone running a Performer RMP Air-Gap with a bigblock?  If so what is your setup and how is your clearance.

I'd like to keep a 3" filter for the look, cowl hood and EFI is not a option!

Thanks,
RK

post-5-0-02037200-1469144746_thumb.jpg

RK:

I ran an RPM A/G on my big block. I used a drop bottom air cleaner and a 4" tall air filter element with a raised chrome lid. It fit under my stock hood just fine.  You should't have any issues BUT I wouldn't slam the hood until you verify!  Lots of horror stories about that.

You'll like the rpm intake.

Scott

Scott, 

Thanks for the info how much of a drop was your air filter cover?  I did the foil test last night lightly wadded up foil, placed it on the current air cleaner lid and it compressed down to about 1" I am running hood insulation and I know that takes up some room.  

Anyone know if the Spectre filters are any good or and I better off spring a extra $25 and going to a K&N

Rick 

I had the Torker 2-0 "Angled Carb Model" on my 402 for many years...I still have it in the basement, I have been thinking of hanging it on the wall in the garage but never got around to it... :D 

I have since moved on up to a 502 and it has an air gap intake on it. It is the stock one that came on the crate motor, not sure of the exact height though. I ran a 4" Moroso air cleaner with a drop base and it cleared my stock hood. I did not have hood insulation but it did not hit the hood. I remember it was close though.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-65920

I have since changed to a cowl hood and run a 6" air filter.

Rick:

I believe it's about 3/4" - 1" drop, but I never really measured it. It's an Elelbrock Pro Flo air cleaner.

I did run a Holley carb though. I think a Holley may be a bit shorter than an Edelbrock/Q-jet style carb. What carb are you running? That may make a difference.

I don't have any experience with either Spectre or the K&N filter. I normally run a WIX. Good quality & fair price.

Scott

I just installed a Holley 750. From what I hear I should just move forward with the Perf RPM A/G that I will be pleased with the upgrade from the much older Torker. I am just looking for ways to recover the estimated 20% HP loss at 7000' with out breaking the bank, I'm all about the low end umph!

if you are looking at more bottom end, the air gap will be a definite improvement over the torker 

if you really want some bottom end....a gear change is the best option, most '72 402's came with a 2.73:1 rear gear, an intake change will hardly be noticeable, a gear change is like night and day difference :shifter:

and sine you moved to the higher elevation...have you re-tuned you carb? if you haven't, I'll bet it's really rich

I have rejected the carb and tuned it, I'm messing with timing now to get the most out of the engine.

I'm rolling 4.11's in the rear with his great until 70mph then I'm wishing for a 700r4 or 4L that's a project for another time

consider the 200 4R, the 2.74 first gear is much more desirable than the 700's 3.06 first gear with a 4.11 rear gear 

the 200 is on my wish list to put behind my 454 w/3.73's