Air Conditioning options?

overdrive

I need to make a decision about the system I'll be using on my car. It is a factory AC car and I would like to keep the original dash controls and the evaporator housing on the firewall. Not really wanting to change the firewall sheet metal, like I think is required for the aftermarket AC systems. I want to move my compressor to the passenger side of the motor. I'm wondering if a refurbished/modified original system with R134a and a new Sanden compressor will give me a satisfactory AC system. Anybody here running something similar?

Dan

• Like 1

Hey Dan,

Are you interested in going with a Serpentine Belt AC System?  If so, let me know.  I have a kit that I never used.  All new.  Still in original GM boxes.  AC is on the passenger side of the engine.  I believe this is the correct link:

http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12497698.html

Thanks!!
Mike

I went with an S6 compressor when I redid my AC last year. It is 54% lighter than the A6 that came on our cars. The pistons are Teflon coated and it very compatible with the 134A. It was a direct bolt on application. Jared Ritchie has a similar compressor on his white 70 and he is very pleased with it.

Bought all my stuff from Classic Auto Air and used the org dash and evaporator.But you better get the right condenser for 134a.My Black 71 cools like the old r12 did.Here it has been 100- to 105 everyday and it cools fine

• 10 months later...

I went to a Vintage Air Dealer today and got a quote of $1480 for system plus some for heater hoses and belts. $1200 for installation. What do you think? My 72 is a factory air car.

Honestly Jim you are looking at almost $3000 for that VA system. For that kind of money you can put your GM system in Tip Top shape, have some money left over AND have a better overall system than the VA System. NO aftermarket A/C system on the market has the air handling / air mixing capability of your stock system, If it were me I would get the system converted to R134 with a compressor that can handle the new refrigerant, get a R134 condenser and lines installed and don't look back.

There are R134 compressors out there now that look almost exactly like the GM A-6 log compressor and are more efficient, They use all stock GM brackets. You MUST recalibrate the POA for R134 (about $50 +/- at Classic Auto Air in Tampa and you MUST get the R134 condenser that is recommended for the conversion. Classic has a BOLT IN ready to go condenser that again uses all stock brackets.  You also need a new dryer (you gonna need that anyway you go)  and R134 compatible hoses (you are gonna need new hoses with VA also. The R134 hoss are available ready made from Classic Auto Air. They are made of a different rubber compound . materials to contain the smaller R-134 molecules. The R134 condenser is a MUST if you want nice low temps.

There is no way I would go with an aftermarket system if  I have a factory system. After all the smoke clears you will spend a ton of money and not have the overall performance of the stock GM. This is partiualrly true in the mix air mode / defrost mode. The aftermarket under dash units just do no measure up on this feature / functionality IMHO

The vintage air systems are only good for custom applications or cars that are unavailable with factory air conditioning. The systems are somewhat cheap quality but are fine when there are no other options.

I have installed a half dozen VA systems and have never been totally thrilled with the outcome, fit and finish, mounting and reliability have always been an issue.