Drum to Disk Conversion

Droff

I need drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, springs - - pretty much everything replaced on the rear. That should run around $100-150.

I saw this on the Summit site, the price looked reasonable for what it is, although a good bit more than what I had planned.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxrd01

Just looking for some opinions on this kit or if anyone knows of any issues I might need to consider if I go this route. I've got power brakes now, new booster and MC.

Thanks.

I did a disk brake conversion about a year ago, and the linked kit is the way to go. The master cylinder is specific to either a disk/drum or disk/disk setup, so you would need one of those as well. I cannot remember if the proportioning valve is also specific because I replaced everything when I did my conversion (Booster, M/C, valve, lines, etc.)

The installation is pretty straightforward. If you can remove and reinstall your axles, that will be about the hardest part of the job.

One issue I ran into was my LH axle flange, the part where the backing plate mounts to, was just 1/4" off, and I had to slightly modify (bend) the bracket from the kit to make everything work correctly. Talking to folks who have done the swap that isn't unusual, but not very likely. My car had been hit on the drivers side and that was likely the culprit.  

Regardless, I recommend the Right Stuff brand components over any of the others. I think you'll be pleased with the ease of installation and the results.

On a master cylinder you need the front and rear the same size bore and a disk/disk proportioning valve. Depending on the wheel you are running it might hit the caliper (we have their system on a 70 El Camino with SS style wheels and it hit the caliper).

Right Stuff makes good products.  I know several people running their rear disc conversions and have had no problems.  I was going to go with a kit made by Inline tube which is slighter less expensive. The one caution I would make is measure your axle flange where the wheel studs attach.  The kit Inline supplied rotor (very similar if not the same as the right stuff kit) hat had the same dimension as the inside rotor hat dimension preventing the mounting of the rotor to the axle.  I ended up returning and going with an SSBC kit that had 11.25 dia rotors.  Significantly more money but very nice product and all aluminum and stainless.

My axle is a 8.5 BOP with bolt in axles.

Thanks for the info guys. I can't seem to find a disk/disk MC without the booster and I just bought a booster and MC last year, installed but not used.

For the setup, the price isn't bad, just don't care for doubling up on parts cost. I think this also takes care of the proportioning valve concern.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-g91210572/overview/year/1971/make/chevrolet/model/monte-carlo

I guess I just needed a better search question....."1" bore master cylinder".

Not to beat the horse too bad but am I good with these components?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RSD-DBMC18/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-pv72

Robert - Is the color of your Monte Classic Copper?

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys, I just scored a rear disc setup from a '98 Camaro z28 today (12 degrees today ooh yeah!) So, do I need a different master cylinder too? I'm going to adapt the LS1 e-brake cables to work also(buy new). Basically, backing plates, e-brake shoe ,caliper and bracket.