Steering column color on a 70SS

thepcsurgeon

Came across this picture recently and wondering if the steering column was color matched with the interior on the 70 SS' coming out of Flint?  Though I read they were all black.  Anyone else have a color steering column in their SS?

post-3116-0-26609100-1473268902_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

All SS Cars whether it was Chevelle or Monte carlo or Nova, Impala all had Black Columns.

Now there was no controlling those who wanted a Tilt column instead that didnt have a tilt in their ss were swapping it out and putting in a matching interior

coloured column in their SS.

Darren

Sam, which first gens didn't have black columns, besides the '70 non-SS cars? I know those had columns and steering wheels color matched to the interior. I've seen a lot of '71s and '72s. Pretty sure they all had black. Even the '71 dealer brochure shows black in a car with green interior, along with all the pics that I pulled up with a google search. Not arguing, just wanting to learn.

Dan

post-339-0-72569000-1473480423_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-43238600-1473480526_thumb.jpg

thepcsurgeon,  I've only seen pics of 2 SS cars that didn't have black steering columns. Both were '70s, and both were on ebay last week. I saw the one you posted the photo of.  The other one was an unrestored car that a had a pretty bad quarter panel on the left.  I exchanged messages with the owner and he said it has a numbers matching 454 and it has the original column. It's not a tilt column. I told him I've never seen an SS that didn't have a black column.  He said it wouldn't look right if it was black and now I have.  He may be right.  He also said it was a California car, but it was built in Baltimore.

Dan

thepcsurgeon,  I've only seen pics of 2 SS cars that didn't have black steering columns. Both were '70s, and both were on ebay last week. I saw the one you posted the photo of.  The other one was an unrestored car that a had a pretty bad quarter panel on the left.  I exchanged messages with the owner and he said it has a numbers matching 454 and it has the original column. It's not a tilt column. I told him I've never seen an SS that didn't have a black column.  He said it wouldn't look right if it was black and now I have.  He may be right.  He also said it was a California car, but it was built in Baltimore.

Dan

You're correct about the bay car.  It was a NH car built at the Flint plant.  Just thought it was odd as I have always read they were all black.  The seller also had no paperwork for the car, I stopped bidding at $19,500, all else seemed correct with the car.

I wonder if they were supposed to be black but they ran out and used the color to match the interior? Could have been a lazy thing also, someone didn't want to walk to get the right column. Just my .02