Engine Build

rentahubby

I'm at the beginning stages of my project 350 engine build, I'm confused as to what I should do. I have the block #3970010 and I'm taking it in to get cleaned and inspected. I'm not looking to turn it into a stroker but I would like 400-425 hp. Could this be done with this block? It's bone stock, never been bored etc. Where do I start after the cleaning and inspection? Could it be bored out? I have no clue where to go, its not something I want done right away due to budget restraints but I'd like to get a good build eventually. Any advice? I have an Edelbrock Performer intake already and a 650 Edelbrock carb, just need to figure out the right crank and cam etc. 

I'm no performance guy by any means but, to achieve that HP with a stock block and mild performance parts

would require some Internal Engine considerations, Performance Heads, Cam, Carb, Crank etc.  That HP

won't come cheap.

Sounds like you want a 383 CI Stroker Motor.

Doug

Depends on how much money you want to spend. Also if you will be running this at the drag strip? If you are looking for some get up and go power and a good street machine I have a combo I and friends have used for years. We take a 350 block like you have and bore it .030 over. Which now makes it a 355. All blocks have been two bolt mains. The intake you have is good as is the carb. I would use  64 cc heads ( camel hump heads cast # 461 or 462's) with flat top pistons.  This combo will give you close to 10-1 compression. You will be able to use pump gas. I always use premium. The cam I use is a comp cam 268h. Plus I use a high vol. oil pump.

To help the cause, some good rear end gears are helpful. I'm running a 355 gear. Like I said this is a good budget build. With lots of low end torque. I'm not sure what HP this combo produces, never had one on a dyno. My guess is some where north of 350 hp.

Now if you are looking for something to really  turn some HP, there are others on here that can help you more then I can!

Dale

• Like 1

I forgot to say, I'm putting one together for my son. I had the block crank and rods. I bought the camel hump heads, cam, oil pump, Intake, carb, water pump, aluminum pulleys and brackets, after market stock type oil pan and timing chain cover, timing chain gears, overhaul gasket set, lifters, new stock rocker arms, push rods and other odds and ends. I do not have the total of the machine work yet. After all is said and done he will have a nice looking 355 with all new parts for about $2500. That could go north, depends on the machine work.

Dale

• Like 1

Thanks Dale, that's about what I'm after, I have 373 gears. Non posi. That's a realistic amount of money for me. Could you message me with some particulars?

I'm just learning the ropes of SBC power but I have the same engine Dale mentioned and it does make solid power. I do find to get the benefits of the build you need to improve the valve springs and rev it out. I shift mine 5500-6000 during fun runs and it's a riot. Don't forget a good flowing exhaust!

I think gears make all the difference. Seeing as you already have 373's you'll enjoy it even more!

• Like 1

My first engine build I used camel dump heads and made good power, I used an Edelbrock cam, lifters, and performer intake, that engine ran for a long time and was very reliable too.

• Like 1