Shift indicator cable in -72 (column)

AnHie65

HI,

I managed to break the shift indicator cable when I was doing some maintenance... Now I just can´t find any source from where to get a new one.

I would be grateful if anyone will give some hints from where to seek a replacement.

Thanks,

Anssi

Finland, Europe

I don't think I have ever seen this Part if I'm thinking it's the one your after.

But there is a solution............  :)

If this is a Column Shift and we are talking about the shift indicator needle linkage , had the same issue with my old 76 GMX 4X4.

I used fishing line to repair it by simply using the measurements from the broken wires unbroken length so I could adjust fishing line length to mimic broken wire length with enough xtra to tie off each end where broken wire was tied off.  it worked for me.  Can't remember what Test Line I used but it was not that difficult to work with.  Make sure in park, Tie Off end that controls pointer & that pointer is directly over "P".  The fun part as I remember was getting the other end tied off correctly so that the needle moves thru all positions aligned with letters.   

The ends where fishing line needs secured you can use your imagination but try to make sure no interference and tight.  I drove it fine that way for many many years without fail.

Doug 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good to hear! I was also going to say to repair the old one but this is even better!

Bruce

• Like 1