What body style is the 1970 Monte?

Wasn't the Monte Carlo 1st Gens based on the 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix, which was a "G" Body I believe.

Doug

I think the first generation Montes were inspired by the Pontiac Grand Prix (Chevy's answer to the Grand Prix) but they were based on the Chevelle.

With SuperChevy, NMCA, and ISCA, all three consider the first gen monte to be an A body. That is why the Monte Carlo's compete in and for the Chevelle class Awards on a national level. This I know for we have their jackets to show. The Chevelle guys hate for a Monte to take their national awards. LOL!!!

• Like 3

This I know for we have their jackets to show. The Chevelle guys hate for a Monte to take their national awards. LOL!!!  Yes a tuxedo always trumps a suit.   :yay:  :yay:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :k  :k 

they are an A body, and Chevrolet called them A body special, styling ques came from the El Dorado  

it was Chevrolet's response to the Grand Prix, but they do not share the same frame, the Monte has the same dimensions as the Chevelle from the firewall body mounts back 

The 69-72 Grand Prix also uses A-body suspension, like the Chevelles, GTOs, and Monte Carlos. Pontiac called that generation of Grand Prix a G-body. The difference between a GTO/Chevelle and a Grand Prix is that the Grand Prix had a 6" longer wheelbase (118" vs 68-72 GTO/Chevelle 112").

The Monte Carlo is an A-special and it has a 116" wheel base, which is 4" longer than a Chevelle. All of the extra length in the wheelbase of both the 69-72 Grand Prix and 70-72 Monte Carlos are ahead of the firewall. This is why the engine in a Monte sits so far back on the front crossmember compared to a Chevelle.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

The "A"s have it.  Factory GM assembly manuals list the various models under the various body designations, and the Pontiac Grand Prix was the only "G-Body" listed for 1970. I don't think the term "A-Special" was used until one of the subsequent post-'72 generations.

Conceptually, the '70-'72 Monte Carlo and '69-'72 Grand Prix were similar, but due to manufacturing costs and pricing strategies the Monte Carlo stayed closer to its Chevelle roots than the "DeLorean" Grand Prix did.

:)

Dave

• Like 1