Big block exhaust

Stock 454 LS-5, factory manifolds, Pypes complete stainless steel exhaust system, straight dual exhaust, 2 1/2 inch pipe, Street Pro mufflers and tailpipes in factory locations.

If you want that true dual exhaust sound(stereo sound) don't use a crossover pipe...although you will lose a little power with the size of exhaust you will probably run. Unless you run a 3 1/2" exhaust then it isn't really necessary and would be way overkill for what you are planning anyways.

I currently have a SS454 with likely 575-600hp.  Running  3/4 Sanderson headers (wish I went with Original Doug's or American Racing Headers full length headers).

Headers have 2 7/8" primaries into Torque Tech 3" system with X-pipe.

Smaller the header primaries the more torque you get down low (big blocks already have plenty of torque down low), if you use too large an exhaust pipe diameter you can lose back pressure and power also.  Best bet.  Find out where you will be horsepower wise, the cam you are using (power band range), what gears you plan on running (higher the gear, higher the final RPM at track ... the more exhaust volume needs to be moved) etc and call Torque Tech or a header manufacturer to get the right combination for your set up.

Horsepower can be gained or lost based on the set up you use.  

With a mild build and gears that are not real high (below 3:73) you are likely looking at big block Headers with the smaller standard primaries (big block headers usually offered in two size primary tubes) and a full 2.5" exhaust with X-Pipe.   From memory, I believe they say you only need to go to 3" exhaust if your in the mid 500hp range.

Hope this helps.

Dan

.030 over 454. I am running Hooker Headers into 3" true dual pipes through Dynomax Mufflers, and 3" pipes out the back. I used to have flowmasters on it but I actually wanted to quiet the car down a bit. I do prefer the Dynomax.