Interior project snowballing.... questions about rusty floor

Supaflytnt

Thanks for the encouragement and sound advice guys. I'm starting to look forward to tackling this project over the next few weeks. (Instead of dreading it) I will be doing a lot of reading up on welding, that's for sure. And thanks for the input on Eastwood welders MCFan. I'm looking into their welders and hope to purchase one soon after I figure out what I need.

Anyway, I'm very thankful you guys have been so helpful. I will post pictures of this project as it progresses for your enjoyment/amusement. Here goes nuthin'

Awesome, looking forward to seeing the progress...

A small piece of advice would be to start with gas since your using thinner materials like body panels. I found Flux core to be very frustrating to learn with. I was constantly burning through, welds looked sloppy and I eventually gave up and put the machine on the shelf for awhile. That was until I went and got myself a cylinder of blue shield and ran with gas. It's so night and day with thinner materials that you'll think you were using a whole different machine!

I bought my Lincoln Power mig 140 on sale with a regulator and gas line and it's been an amazing machine. I do regret not going bigger though as I have a 240v plug in my garage I could have utilized.

• 3 weeks later...

you are in the same situation i waS IN WITH MY 72. my 72 taught me how to weld....my advice would be to save up some money and get you a decient mig welder. i got the one from eastwood and love it. then once you have a welder..find a scrap yard near you and go get some 20 gauge scrap and practice welding on it...scrap is usually free..welding is easy once you learn the basics. you can do it. i had never welded before i started restoring this car..i learned and welded on a new roof panel..new trunk floors..a few patches in the floors like you have, the cowl shoulders and two fender patches....saved alot of money doing it my self and learned a new skill.

oh yeah..as stated before...dont use flux core...get some gas and mig wire.....go for it

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, thank you for all the input/encouragement. I have been obtaining a few of the tools i need for this project, as well as educating myself as best i can with youtube videos and even a trip to the library. I am starting with the under the back seat floor replacement. Both sides will need the floor patched. I started cutting out the driver's side and I have a question about the pan that goes underneath the brace connecting the outer wall and the pan underneath the seat. Do i need to remove that brace to be able to cut all the rusted floor, or do i need to cut it out from below? Or is there some other solution i haven't thought of?

I attached a couple photos, and the brace Im talking about has the screwdriver pointing at it.

post-4755-0-23427500-1490051674_thumb.jpg

post-4755-0-08106800-1490051705_thumb.jpg

What I did was anywhere there was a brace, I used an air chisel to separate the two panels, thereby removing the rusted sheet metal and leaving the brace. Re-reading your post you question indicates the brace is the upper piece? If that's the case I would recommend you remove the brace if possible to gain access to the rusted sheet metal underneath.

• 1 month later...

Update on the floor pan project. I ended up buying a flux core welder for my project, as the price was pretty decent and it was able to run off my 120 outlet in the garage. While working on the under seat area, I wasn't sure if I needed to remove the brace/gusset on both sides. I opted to go for it and take those out. It sure wasn't easy, but Im glad I did because there was some really rusty, shaggy metal under them. 

Here is some pics of my progress, including those braces i decided to remove. I have passenger side welded in, driver side cut and almost ready to be welded in.

post-4755-0-17622600-1495312067_thumb.jpg

post-4755-0-55954300-1495312093_thumb.jpeg

post-4755-0-00697400-1495312127_thumb.jpg

post-4755-0-45974700-1495312151_thumb.jpg

post-4755-0-91795900-1495312194_thumb.jpg

post-4755-0-88648100-1495312234_thumb.jpg

post-4755-0-80729900-1495312274_thumb.jpeg

post-4755-0-43177300-1495312306_thumb.jpg