Rebuild or valve job ?

jja

Appreciate any thoughts on what you would recommend for following situation:

Have at least 160 k miles on a 1970 SB 350 ci. engine.  Had each cylinder compression tested and they all registered between 190 -210 lbs., except no. 7 which tested about 120 lbs.  Engine really seems to idle hard and have a small leak that I think is the rear main seal.

Would like to take care of things as inexpensively as possible but hate to be dumb cheap. 

Should I go ahead with full engine rebuild or can I resolve most of the things that bother me with a valve job and replacement of rear main seal and motor mounts?

Any thoughts?

I could have had my engine rebuilt for around $1500. Ended up spending $2250 because I went with a roller cam and roller tip rockers. Very pleased with the results. Has a nice little lope at idle and really sounds good with the 2 1/2 inch stainless exhaust going thru flow master 50's.

Unless you have deep scoring on the cylinder walls, you could get away with doing a valve job and a quick hone with new piston rings. This is a quick fix and won't last forever. If you want it to go another 160k without issues, I would just bite the bullet and rebuild the entire thing.

What is the old saying?  A chain is only as stong as it's weakest link.  If it were me I would go thru the whole engine. Are you doing all the work yourself? If not, you could end up paying a lot on labor having to pull the engine twice.

Redoing the top end and not doing anything to the bottom end is a big rookie mistake. The bottom end is sure to follow.

“There’s never enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it again"

One of Murphy's laws. :lol: