Wierd transmission leak

GatorDog72

I put my car in storage last fall, and over winter it decided to randomly puke transmission fluid onto the floor. Quite a bit came out, I would say maybe 3-4 quarts. I found the leak, its coming out of the TOP of the fill tube. This is with the car sitting for months without being run or moved at all. It seemed to be random too. every time I tried to figure out where it was coming from there was no leak. I did notice that the dipstick was just sitting in the tube loose, maybe this had something to do with it...?

I started the car and let it warm up to check the fluid level and it wasn't even on the stick. I thought maybe I had over-filled it but I guess not. I topped off the fluid and drove it around, it seems fine. It shifts ok and its not leaking anymore. Very strange. What would cause it to puke fluid out the dipstick tube with the car just sitting in storage? I thought maybe the vent tube was clogged, but it stopped leaking once I started the car...

The transmission is a Turbo 400 with a reverse manual valve body. Its got a deep pan on it also. The internals have been worked over a bit. It's pretty much brand new, almost no miles on it yet. If it starts leaking again I'm going to call the shop that built the trans to see if they can help.

I have run into this on my 71 with  a 350 and my son's 72 with a 350 turbo. After the cars sit for a week or three I would notice a leak on both cars. At first I thought it was the pan leaking from the front. I changed the gasket a few times and it would always end up leaking again. Then I thought maybe it was the front seal on the transmission. After further investigation it looked like it was coming from around the dip stick tube. So new O ring was installed. Still after awhile it would leak again. Now it appeared it was coming from around the detent cable. I started doing research online and found this is a common problem. What happens is after the car sits for a long period of time the fluid in the torque converter leaks back in to the pan. All the extra fluid in the pan has to go some were. So it leaks out were it can. What I have done to fix it is   1. Start the car once a week. or   2. Put a bowl under the car to catch the fluid.

What happens is after the car sits for a long period of time the fluid in the torque converter leaks back in to the pan. All the extra fluid in the pan has to go some were. 

This is what I think is going on. I first thought maybe one of the cooler lines came loose and drained the cooler...nope both were tight. Fluid was coming out from the top of the tube like it was overfilled. Then the level dropped once I ran the car so I'm thinking it filled the converter back up. I guess it fixed itself because its been sitting a few days and its still not leaking.

That is what happens with mine. After sitting for a couple weeks it starts to "leak" again.

This is what I think is going on. I first thought maybe one of the cooler lines came loose and drained the cooler...nope both were tight. Fluid was coming out from the top of the tube like it was overfilled. Then the level dropped once I ran the car so I'm thinking it filled the converter back up. I guess it fixed itself because its been sitting a few days and its still not leaking.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys- 

I know it’s an older thread but I’m seeing a trans leak on my 70 SS.    I think what you all mention is what I’m seeing. 

BUT-     

I didn’t see any transmission fluid leaks until it got cold.   The cars been sitting for just over a month.    No leaks until the temps got into the 20s. This happened within the last week or so.   The garage isn’t heated.    It was a decent sized leak.   

Kinda weird- Thoughts?  

In the cold, the seals shrink. When warm, they expand. Even the slightest space, trans fluid will find a way out.

Also, if the seals are old they become brittle and not pliable anymore. 

18 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

In the cold, the seals shrink. When warm, they expand. Even the slightest space, trans fluid will find a way out.

Also, if the seals are old they become brittle and not pliable anymore. 

Figured as much. Thanks for the help! 

11 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

I thought my car was leaking at the pan. I replaced the pan gasket but the real problem was the shifter shaft seal. I got that seal replaced and the leak is gone. 

Will look at that in the spring. Many Thanks!

I have heard that sometimes if a car has been sitting for a while that the torque converter somehow drains back into the tranny and then will leak out the tube or seals. Just something that I have heard.

My 71 had been sitting for a while and same thing, added some fluid and everything looks good.

that’s what I’m thinking-  fluid was draining back from the torque converter.      But its weird no leaks for the first few weeks and now it just started.   

maybe it’s what MC1 said the temps dropped and seals shrank then leaks.