G67 OPTIONED AUTO LOAD LEVELING AIR SHOCK COMPRESSOR

The silver/gray one has the cap on the end and the Monte's used that style. I know nothing else about the compressors and just learned that on this site in the last week or two.

Dale,

Neither of those compressors appear to be G67 compressors for the first gen Monte and the brackets most certainly are not.  As relatively scarce as the Monte-correct ones are, however, surely those compressors should be worth something to the restorer of the vehicle(s) they were originally built with.  Maybe someone in the club has researched those compressors or that load leveling system thoroughly enough to identify their origin, but I surely haven't.

How long should it be if it is for a Monte?

I'm 1835 miles from my SS right now or I would measure it for you, Steve.  However, by scaling a straight photo of it that includes a 2" wide bracket, I would say it is right at 11" from the base of the tank (resting on the vacuum motor) to the bottom edge of the cap.  Not sure what the overall length is.  Hope that helps ...

post-567-0-45701300-1489858731_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying these compressors from a guy in Chicago before I joined the forum. He stated they were both for a Monte. The silver compressor measures 14 1/4" so I'm hoping it's correct for my car. I beleive the black one fits a Cadillac. My first question is what color should the tank by for a 70? I have seen black, silver and a gold finish. The next question is how does one know if they need to be rebuilt? Are there any stamping numbers to confirm that its correct? Thanks in advance, Paul

• Like 1

Paul, the 1970 Monte Carlo Factory Assembly Manual lists P/N 4950174 for the compressor assembly.  I don't remember seeing that number stamped anywhere on my compressor, but the digits 230-7 are stamped in one of the mounting screw bosses at the back of the compressor housing.  My compressor also has the words "Dayton Ohio USA" embossed in the housing casting.  Both markings can be seen by expanding the third photo below.

I got my rebuilt compressor from Bob Lyman (lastss).  While I believe it is the correct compressor, I have never believed the original finish of the tank was black paint.  Instead, I believe they were a light gold finish, possibly cadmium plated, as shown in the photo below.  Frankly, the color of the tank doesn't bother me but it might make a difference to a purist.

post-567-0-84387300-1491268397_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-25868100-1491268409_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-34614500-1491268466_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dennis, I checked both compressors and they both have the Delco USA stampings. The silver compressor has a stamping that looks like 318-7, I'm not sure if that is some kind of date stamp. Is there a way to test these compressors to see if they function or do most just have them rebuilt and refinished? Any advise would be get, Thanks

Paul, regarding testing and rebuilding, I will defer to Bob (lastss) as he has refurbished a number of them.  Hopefully, he will chime in here and give you some insights/advice.

Great, I'm hoping Bob can make up a set of brackets for the compressor as well.

Paul, actually I believe Dan (overdrive) is the one who makes factory-like compressor brackets while Bob (lastss) refurbishes and re-sells compressors (and other Monte parts).  However, I believe Bob offered a set of factory brackets for sale a couple years ago, but, believe me, they are as scarce as hen's teeth.  I searched for at least four years before I found an affordable pair of factory brackets I could refurbish for my SS.  In the meantime, I built several sets of functionally equivalent brackets using 1/8" thick aluminum angle, appropriately cut, bent, drilled and finished.  They are plenty strong and work just fine but don't look exactly like the factory brackets or like the ones Dan makes.  The photos below show my brackets and a set of refurbished factory brackets.

post-567-0-79155600-1491317124_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-71906100-1491317143_thumb.jpg

^^^^^ Are you still making these aluminum brackets, if so I am interested in a set possibly. I have these on both my cars

The only finished set I have right now may be spoken for, Jared.  Let me check and get back to you.

I ended up buying these compressors from a guy in Chicago before I joined the forum. He stated they were both for a Monte. The silver compressor measures 14 1/4" so I'm hoping it's correct for my car. I beleive the black one fits a Cadillac. My first question is what color should the tank by for a 70? I have seen black, silver and a gold finish. The next question is how does one know if they need to be rebuilt? Are there any stamping numbers to confirm that its correct? Thanks in advance, Paul

Welcome to the forum and becoming a dues paying member Paul. You should be receiving your starter packet today or tomorrow. You now have access to all forums. Make sure you check out the news letters. We are running low on the Monte of the Month stories, maybe you could submit something about yours

• Like 2

Dennis, thanks for setting me straight on the members names and who does what. Since I joined I've been reading/enjoying alot of different posts. It gets confusing at times.

Bob W. Thanks for the welcome. Let me try to put some info together about my new car. I have tried to upload a few pictures and they are to big so I have to figure out how to make them smaller.

Thanks, Paul

• Like 1

The automatic load leveling was offered by General Motors from 1965-1973. The date codes you gentlemen have posted are from 1967.  Dennis= 230th day of '67, Paul= 318th day of '67. 

I learned on this site several years ago that the tanks were either black phosphate coated or gold.  I've recently had 2 recoated with the black phosphate. One had the original black phosphate still on it when I got it and the other had been painted over. I checked inside of both before I sent them out and the painted one had some gold still on the inside, proving they came both ways. I doubt silver is correct. Checking inside the tank will tell, unless somebody has changed that too.

The gold used on the brake boosters these days is called gold zinc. It seems to me it would also be correct for the tanks, as well as the black phosphate.  I chose black phosphate for mine at the time because I thought the gold zinc might stand out a little much, but since then I feel it would be fine. I don't know of any other gold plating that the factory part could have been, so I think it's a pretty good bet they either matched the brake boosters, or were black phosphate, not painted.

Dale, the silver one in your photo is the right one for a Monte. The compressor itself is the same on both. The tanks are the only difference.

Tip-----Do a Google search for "Automatic Level Control - Vintage Service Information" for some good information for testing the system. The compressor can be disassembled, cleaned and lubed. I got one of mine to work. I have another that the seller said worked, but I haven't checked it yet.

Dan

• Like 3

After some research this morning I have found that the smooth air tank on the black compressor was used by Pontiac. I'm was a parts manager at a Chevrolet and Buick dealer for many years before I joined my families automotive consulting business. We have a number of old parts catalogs. I looked at the part number from the listing on ebay of the new compressor for 750.00 and referenced a 1974 Pontiac parts catalog and there it was. It fits all 1973 A, B and G models. I'm in the process of looking into Cadillac and Buick.  

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/4/2017 at 8:45 PM, overdrive said:

The automatic load leveling was offered by General Motors from 1967-1973. The date codes you gentlemen have posted are from 1967.  Dennis= 230th day of '67, Paul= 318th day of '67. 

I learned on this site several years ago that the tanks were either black phosphate coated or gold.  I've recently had 2 recoated with the black phosphate. One had the original black phosphate still on it when I got it and the other had been painted over. I checked inside of both before I sent them out and the painted one had some gold still on the inside, proving they came both ways. I doubt silver is correct. Checking inside the tank will tell, unless somebody has changed that too.

The gold used on the brake boosters these days is called gold zinc. It seems to me it would also be correct for the tanks, as well as the black phosphate.  I chose black phosphate for mine at the time because I thought the gold zinc might stand out a little much, but since then I feel it would be fine. I don't know of any other gold plating that the factory part could have been, so I think it's a pretty good bet they either matched the brake boosters, or were black phosphate, not painted.

Dale, the silver one in your photo is the right one for a Monte. The compressor itself is the same on both. The tanks are the only difference.

Tip-----Do a Google search for "Automatic Level Control - Vintage Service Information" for some good information for testing the system. The compressor can be disassembled, cleaned and lubed. I got one of mine to work. I have another that the seller said worked, but I haven't checked it yet.

Dan

I recently took mine apart to refurbish. There was still a faint gold coating on it, which appeared to be cadmium, so I had it Cad plated. I'm happy with it (just my preference) although I also think the black looks great! One thing I did was polish the rear piece. When I jave some time,  I will be going back to the way it came from the factory; I think it looks better that way!

Screenshot_20211122-022633_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-022428_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-022651_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-022938_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

I was asked by a few local buddies to post a few more pics to show the finished piece and polished end. They really liked it in person, but I probably will make it stock.

Would the back piece be Argent silver?

Jeff 1970 SS454 

Screenshot_20211122-234054_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-234043_Gallery.jpg