Radiator cap

monte70car

I wanted to get you all's thoughts on this. A few years ago I changed my 70 over from a factory A/C car to a non-A/C car changed the tstat to 160° fresh coolant 50/50 and added a 16PSI radiator cap. When the coolant was add the heat was on hot temp never got pass 180°. Driving around in the mid 80's and 90's in the summer the temp climbs up to 219° and once it cool down the coolant is only half when it was full. Do you think the 16PSI cap is to much? it has a 402 that was bored 40 over stock and the deck was shaved. on the cooling side it has a 93 GMC truck radiator with dual elec fans which cover the surface of the radiator which sits inside the stock shroud and a clutch fan on the water pump which spins at low speeds. Elec fans come on if the car reaches 200° and then run after the car is shut off to cool it down.

I don't want to go down the same problem with my 72 so it doesn't have a radiator cap for its new radiator so this will also help in getting the right item for it. It will be using Evans cooling liquid in it so maybe a 16PSI cap would be ideal for that don't know. 

I run a 16 PSI on my Summit aluminum radiator. The only change I would make to your system is to add a coolant recovery bottle. Jegs or summit makes a black plastic one that blends in well with the inner fender. David