HEI distributor conversion.......how to wire?

NWmonte71

So I am converting my stock Delco-Remy points style distributor to a stock Delco-Remy HEI distributor. My question is: Where can I pull 12 volts to power up my HEI distributor? Normally I would just run a 12 gauge wire from the ignition fuse block spade, but there is already a pink wire using it! This pink wire at the fuse block I assume is for the original ignition wiring circuit? Do I need it or can I unplug it and just run my 12 gauge wire up to the dizzy? I would like to not cut/modify my wiring harness if possible, since the car is so original. I am no longer using the carburetor throttle solenoid...... can I pull the 12 volts I need from that? I just want to make putting an HEI distributor on my engine straight forward and not complicated for the wiring hook-ups. 

post-5838-0-24876200-1496106920_thumb.jpg

post-5838-0-66695200-1496106926_thumb.jpg

You should be able to use the 12v from the carb solenoid to make it work. I'm not sure what size wire that uses, but it needs to be close to 12 gauge if you use it for the distributor. I used that wire for the electric choke on my Nova and it worked fine. Best way to do it is to just run a 12 gauge wire from the fuse block to the distributor.

The Best spot is exactly where that pink wire was at, cause it's 12v ign switch controlled. Now the carb 12v iddle stop solenoid is only on when you're using your A/C.

You should be able to use the 12v from the carb solenoid to make it work. I'm not sure what size wire that uses, but it needs to be close to 12 gauge if you use it for the distributor. I used that wire for the electric choke on my Nova and it worked fine. Best way to do it is to just run a 12 gauge wire from the fuse block to the distributor.

I did some more research online and decided to do some wiring harness surgery. I carefully cut open the black plastic harness tape and manually removed the pink resistance wire from the engine side of the fuse block. I replaced the wire using a new red 12 gauge wire with correct delphi-packard 56 male connector. Do I need to retain the yellow "R" terminal coming from my starter solenoid?

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are curious to know............. I did some additional research and learned that you must combine the yellow starter solenoid wire with the new 12 gauge wire to power up the HEI distributor. The car started first time without any issues by wiring it this way. The hardest part is combining the two wires into one connector. 

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, GBodyKid said:

May I ask where in the NW you are located? Just got my first 1970 monte but can not get spark.. Have replaced a few parts but think I'm just going to make the switch from points to a HEI distributor. Any tips? Thanks..

Dylan, I would suggest you get it running before trying to change things. IMHO upgrading to something else without knowing whats wrong isn't going to speed up the process. What have you done so far, what are the issues your seeing?