Washer pump not running

rifraf94000

I have a washer pump issue. The switch will turn the wipers but when depressed no fluid sprays out. The pump isn't running when depressed. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to tell if its the switch or the motor. Seems like if the switch will run the wipers its ok and that it must be the pump? Any thoughts would help. I thought there might be a way to diagnose the problem without going into town and buying a tester. Thanks Yall!

On my 85 buick Riviera has a similar pump. Mine had clog. I took the rubber hose and blew a bunch of air through it with my mouth and it regained it's suction. I got lucky but that's worth a try. Good luck

• Like 1

Mine was doing the same thing.  What happened to mine is the bellows shaft had broken I purchased a pump assembly from Advance Auto Parts and it works great now.

rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming you're working on a first generation Monte Carlo so if that's the case, there should be two wires on the pump. A yellow wire which should have 12 volts at all times. The other one should be black. It supplies the ground for the system to work. 

So if you don't have the 12 volts on the yellow wire you need to check all the connections back to the fuse box looking for an open in the circuit.

If you do have the 12 volts on the yellow wire....

1. Turn the switch for the wipers on.

2. Using a jumper wire connect one end to a good known ground.

3. Probe the black wire on the pump with the other end.

If the pump does not run suspect a bad pump coil. If the pump does run, check your connections on the black wire back the the center pin on the switch. If all connections are good suspect a faulty switch.