help what is this

dave m

Hi I am in the process of replacing the wire loom/channel  that is on the firewall center just above the distributor    it had a relay ? mounted to it.   when I tried to unplug it just broke in pieces.   I thought it was a horn relay ????? but looking on opgi site it looks like this???????  

1970-75 Monte Carlo Transmission Controlled Spark Relay
1970-75 Monte Carlo Transmission Controlled Spark Relay

Part# CH28222

rating-none.pngBe the First to Review

SAVE: $9.96 Retail: $102.95

OPGI Price: $92.99

Part Type: ® = Authentic reproduction of the original GM product
Years:

1970-75

Sold As: EACH
2016 Monte Carlo Catalog Page: 194

’70-75 Monte Carlo Authentically reproduced relay

This reproduction relay is identical to original equipment and is a must-have for any 4-speed vehicle. The relay works with the Transmission Controlled Spark (TCS) switch to advance the engine timing when the transmission is in top-gear, which provides better fuel economy. The original style relay is stamped with the original GM part number on its zinc-plated metal top and features a plastic body equipped with the correct 4-prong configuration. Sold per each.

Search Keywords

my car was a factory 3 speed on the tree    I have converted to hei dist .

Is this correct   ????   do I need it any more????    can I just trace the wires back and cut them off ?????  

I thought it was a horn relay??????  

car is apart for msd// carb// full tune   and a few other things  so I cant tell if disconnected  everything will still work.

thanks dave

post-76-0-67663300-1498002713_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of my 1971 350 4BBL with THM350 trans, NO A/C.

I believe my TCS relay is on the right or passenger side (left on the picture) with the wires unhooked because I removed everything in 1972.

I don't remember what the other relay thingy on the left or drivers side (rt. on the picture) is for.

I don't believe you need any of it but make sure it starts and runs prior to cutting the wires. There should be some sort of fuse I would think but what, if anything else it powers, I don't know.

Good luck,

Bruce

Hi thanks it is the relay you still have wires on facing the drivers side in the picture.     it apers to be what opgi has in the pic but the discription  does not make sense

???

I don't remember, perhaps they are both related to the TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark)

I will do some research, unless someone has the answer.

Bruce

Rod, the picture I supplied is from my 71 NO A/C 350 4bbl automatic.

Bruce

Just found this wiring diagram in my collection of stuff.

I can't be sure it is for first gen's but I believe it is.

Looks like both relays / switches are for the TSC.

post-76-0-93587100-1498088241_thumb.jpg

Bruce

Imagine that a non a/c, 49 states, and possibly federal cars, with two spark control relays, and yet I speak from a 70's model and California emissions control perspective. Yet my 70's if I remember correctly only had an electricly controlled ported vacuum switch. I don't recall them ever having a accelerator control device other than an iddle stop solenoid. Controlling higher RPM for A/C compressor use. I stand corrected, you learn something new everyday.

Rod,

If I recall correctly, the idle stop would energize in high gear, so when you took your foot off the gas, the throttle plates did NOT close to idle therefore the engine pulled less raw fuel, for lower emissions. 

Then why did it engage in REVERSE?

I believe that was the only way to safely adjust the throttle position or RPM.

The TCS system also only allowed vacuum to the vacuum advance canister when the vehicle is in high gear, or reverse (for testing).

I picked up my car May 14. 1971 and I think the TSC was bypassed by June of 1971.

As to what A/C vehicles were equipped with, I don't know.

Bruce

thanks for all the ideas  no my car did not have ac////   it also did not have the throttle solenoid   ( I did add a/c so I could use it now )  I'll worry about that later . Although it is busted I am going to wait to see iff everything works when the car is back together and  then i'll either eliminate it totally or just plug it in and tape it up and hide it.

thanks again

thanks but my car always was stick shift  factory 3 speed on the column now 4 on the floor .  hoping to get everything back together tomorrow  and then make sure every thing works without it

dave