1970 Monte wiring diagrams

HVYD1970

Can anybody help me with 1970 Monte wiring diagrams. I'm going to tach and gauges from warning lights. Also installing the console and auto shifter. The diagrams I've seen and a set I ordered off Amazon(ordered 70 Monte Carlo, got 70 Malibu/Chevelle) look like they are for a warning light column shift car. I really need some help before I can move forward.

I have a factory tach & gauge cluster and a modified warning light harness that I don't have a lot of faith in. 

Any info would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank You.

Doug

Douglas.Shelton@comcast.net

Doug with the changes you are making plus the harness being 47 years old might be faster and safer to buy a new harness. I know the cost is the bad part but in the long run it would be easier. For a new harness you'll need the dash harness, console harness (unless you already have that), and the under the hood. Going from the warming lights harness to the gauge style the under hood is different as well since you need a water temp reading gauge vs a light sending unit.

Thank you for your response.

I really would like to modify my original, it seems to be clean and pliable, I haven't found any brittle spots. Car has 99,000+ miles and was garage kept most of its life. I've dissected harnesses before and repaired and re-wrapped them, but only when I had good detailed instructions and schematics. I've got the 70 Monte assembly manual but wondered if there is clearer information out there. Can I use the original and add or move wires? There was also the trio of gauges mounted under the dash so I'm going to have to buy new water temp and oil pressure units anyway.

My car is Autumn Gold with a white painted top. It had a gold bench seat, going to black interior. I've done the headliner, speaker deck, carpet is going in, dash is black, then I found these gauges. 406 small block (mild build), 350 turbo, A/C.  I was lucky to find buckets, console, shifter, and harnesses from one car.

Any info I can get will be appreciated.  

Hey, Doug,

I already sent you two emails with the 14 pages of the 1970 Monte Carlo Wiring Diagram attached to them as photos of each page.  You can expand them on your screen to see the detail and print them out if you wish.

The swap you are making from idiot lights to full gauges is a good one and well worth the time and money.  It can easily be done by modifying your current wiring harness so don't worry.  I made a photo journal of every step in the process plus have a detailed set of instructions in a Word document I will send to your email address.  There is an excellent kit available from sonnie24 on eBay that most of us have used so check it out first, 

While you have your dash pulled out and the instrument cluster out of the dash, it is a good time to also consider upgrading to LEDs for your dash lights and also repairing or replacing your dash clock if it is not working.  BTW, repairing a non-working dash clock may be possible and is not that difficult, either.  I made another photo journal covering how to do that if you find it necessary,  Just click on the links below.  

Full Gauge Cluster Upgrade (this also includes converting to LEDs)

Repairing a Dash Clock

Both of my '70s have factory consoles so I don't know what harness modifications you need for that but it is all covered in the wiring diagrams I already sent you.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the help,especially Dennis for the diagrams and instructions,Great Stuff. I've been 5 hours sorting wiring. Thanks to the diagrams I found two wires out of place in the modified harness.

From what I can see my original harness is only missing the courtesy lights for plugging into the console extension harness. Have to do some more digging. Probably going to use it. So I just have to make all the moves and add the amp and tach wires.

Sincerely Thank You.

P.S. Keep your ears on.

• 2 years later...

Can someone please send me the electrical diagrams also. I have a Monte Carlo 1970, I am having some electrical issues and would love to see pictures and diagrams. Thanks in advance 

Please keep in mind.  What I have found in trying to wring out a few issues on not only my car but also assisting other members, do not always trust the wire colors listed on these diagrams because not all of the wire colors are correct.  They are pretty much on the mark as far as destination from point "A" to point "B"  so be ready to to have an ohm/digital meter on hand to verify expected voltages and continuity.

rob

Here is a direct link to the 70 Monte electrical diagrams: