70 vs 71/72 Front Fenders, how to tell them apart?

orangehat44

I've been trying to get fenders for my 71 Monte. Local body guy I've been talking with has a couple contacts he reached out to, and one of the local guys has a new in box monte fender, I believe passenger side. but he is unsure if its for a 70 or a 71. i have both my fenders and fender extensions off the car do i need to lug all that sheet metal over to compare or is there an easy way to tell the difference.

In the FGMCC page about telling them apart it only says 70 fenders wont work on 71/72 monte's without modification and vice versa. but doesnt note what the differences are or what those modifications are. are said modifications simple if it turns out to be a 70 fender? because i can get a pretty good deal on this fender compared to what i've seen and the added bonus of not needing to ship it since its local is huge.

The most visible difference is the front, top of the fender where it attaches to the radiator support. This would be just under the hood at the front when the hood is closed. The metal portion that attaches to the radiator support on a 70 this area is flat but a 71/72 this area dips down and then comes back up.

Attached is a picture of an NOS 70 fender. This would be the passenger side fender
rob

1970 Monte Fender.jpg

I believe I read the following on this forum quite a while ago but can't remember who posted but credit should go to him/her/them.

"GM moved the location of the headlights in 71. When they did this the bolt that holds down the fender to the rad support needed to be moved up to allow clearance for the headlight which was now directly under this bolt. They stepped up the rad support and fender for clearance. As a result the 1970 fenders, rad support and, fender extensions are all for that year only.

The 72 has the same headlight location as 71 but there were further changes to the rad support to accommodate the turn signals in the 72 grille. Therefore, all three rad supports are different.  The fender extensions are different all three years."

The attached pictures show a 1970 Fender (Tourquoise) and a 1971 Fender (Red)

post-1324-0-60158300-1503636289_thumb.jpg

post-1324-0-80703600-1503636297_thumb.jpg