What is the best way to access behind the gauges?

NWmonte71

I am planning to install a new headlight switch and Shiftworks dummy light conversion gauge pack over the Winter. What is the best way to access the backside of the gauges? Do you pull the dash pad, gauge bezel, or both? I'd like to remove as few pieces as possible without disturbing too much. Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

The dash pad for sure. As for the switch, I'm not sure if it can be done without pulling the gauge cluster. That is a pretty tight area. I replaced the printed circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster in my old 72 and I pulled the cluster out to do that. I had to loosen the dash on the left side to let it lean out a bit in order to get the cluster out. Be careful with the old plastic and the circuit board as they can be brittle. 

Chris, you don't need to remove the entire dash, just loosen to pull forward to remove gauge cluster. You will need to drop the steering column & let it rest on the seat. Dash pad must be removed first. There are instructions in the archives, just take it slow....

Hey, Chris,

If there is any part of my Monte Carlos I hate to work on it is the dash - just not fun at all!  Fortunately, as others have advised, you won't need to completely remove it to do what you need to do.  If it would be of any help to you, you can look at a photo journal I put together when I upgraded my idiot light cluster to full gauges.  You can find it on Photobucket at this link: Full Gauge Cluster Upgrade  Slides 3-11 show the instructions and steps in the dash removal process.  Be sure to scroll the photo up enough to read the comments below the captions. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the replies!  I am looking forward to tackling this project in the coming months. I tend to take things slow and use finesse  when working with delicate plastic pieces. I rather ask a 1000 questions and be prepared, than rip & tear into something blindly. While I'm back there, I plan to install Shiftworks LED dash conversion bulbs into the gauge cluster. This should make things way brighter for night time driving. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/11/2017 at 9:45 AM, MCfan said:

Hey, Chris,

If there is any part of my Monte Carlos I hate to work on it is the dash - just not fun at all!  Fortunately, as others have advised, you won't need to completely remove it to do what you need to do.  If it would be of any help to you, you can look at a photo journal I put together when I upgraded my idiot light cluster to full gauges.  You can find it on Photobucket at this link: Full Gauge Cluster Upgrade  Slides 3-11 show the instructions and steps in the dash removal process.  Be sure to scroll the photo up enough to read the comments below the captions. Good luck!

Any way to still view this?

On 9/10/2017 at 10:07 PM, NWmonte71 said:

I am planning to install a new headlight switch and Shiftworks dummy light conversion gauge pack over the Winter. What is the best way to access the backside of the gauges? Do you pull the dash pad, gauge bezel, or both? I'd like to remove as few pieces as possible without disturbing too much. Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Honestly, the easiest way is pull the windshield. I did just about everything on my Chevelle that way. 

When you lower the steering column you need to undo the shift indicator from the column. (see picture) The "button" you need to push in to remove the headlight switch knob and shaft (picture) Watch out for the snowball effect! (This can happen even in the summer) I recall something about our headlight switches being SPECIAL and many times replacement switches don't work correctly. There is a "jumper" on the switch itself and 5 vs 7 pins (picture) Good luck! Bruce

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0377-2 (1).JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0321 (1).JPG

IMG_0375 (1).JPG

• Like 1