Restoring Air Conditioning

Rob Peters

I have been trying to research this by finding old posts but can't find the information.

Does anyone know of a place that will rebuild my 70 Air Conditioning Compressor.  I do not want a modern version by another company, I want to keep it stock.  I know some places will sell you a reconditioned but was hoping for a place that will do the rebuild of mine.  My compressor leaks around the front seal.  

I figure I will also replace other components in the system.  Most every thing is in decent shape such as the lines, condenser etc.  I was also going to replace the drier and expansion valve along with the compressor.  Besides these three things does anyone have suggestions on what else I should replace in the system.  

I thought I remembered there was a place in Florida that would do this rebuild but could not find it here on the site.  I did find a place on line in New Jersey that sells the remanufactured compressors but am not sure if they rebuild your existing one..  The name of the place is CARiD.

rob

My experience with rebuilt A/C Compressors (for our cars) has not been good.  I have replaced A/C Compressor twice because they leaked thru the seals both times.  I ended up spending the money and purchased a new (OEM) Compressor via my A/C mechanic and no issues.  If I can find the info, I will advise on a rebuilder who seemed to have very good success rebuilding OEM Compressors.  My memory seems to evade me with increase in age..................

Doug

Thanks All!!!!   Keep the suggestions coming.  Willie, let me know what you find out.  Also Willie, was yours rebuilt for R12 or R134.  From what I have heard the R134 is much thinner and can escape around the seals.

rob

I put  a rebuilt a6 on my 72 before we sent to the Hiawassee meet in 2012. It was supposed to be for 134a but I went thru three compressors before I got a good one they all leaked around the front seal and the third one did after three years.. I put this s6 on three years ago and have had no problems YET.

Hey Rob i sent you a pic. Looks like it was rebuilt thru the Parts Authority at a place called Mapco Automotive Industries. It was rebuilt for 134A . I do not know where this place is i had purchaced this with other parts.  Maybe someone else know where this place is, or has heard of them before.    

I know down here most of the need to be rebuilt stuff gets done by Cardone but not sure if they would do your specific unit or not. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks Willie, I tried to look up that company that yours came from and can't find anything related to Air Conditioning Compressors and the same deal with looking up The Parts Authority.  There are no Parts Authority locations in Pennsylvania so I am striking out with that one.

rob

• 6 months later...

Robert and Dennis..... Robert, No, I haven't done anything as yet.  Dennis, thanks for the link.  I will call them to see what information they can give me to help.  I just don't know what all to buy yet.  This will have to ge a winter project.

rob

the s6 is a viable replacement if stll available.  All aluminum teflon coated vanes. Mine is chrome which listed for $406 the black listed for something like $329. Been on my for 4 years and no problems. It is n=machined in China and assembled in Texas