Do I adjust the door or fender?

o_rod

Hey, starting my body work project and first up is my passenger fender. When I open the passenger door, it hits the fender and rubs. It already chipped paint on the fender. To fix this would I adjust the doors hinges, if so, how?

Also, anyone have a write up on how to remove the front fenders? Just want to see what has to come off first before the fender. I can see the bumper has to as well as headlight buckets, what about the inner fenders? Any hidden bolts? Thanks

If the door fitment (spacing at the latch area) is good I would not mess with the door spacing by messing with the door hinges.

Removing the fenders should be pretty straight forward. Yes, the fender extensions (headlight buckets) inner fenders, hood hinges etc will need to be removed first. Once those are removed you should be able to find all of the bolts securing the fenders.

rob

• Like 1

I agree with Rob on not adjusting the door if it fits the quarter.  Always adjust the door to the quarter panel, then the fender to the door.

How are your hinges, do they need rebuilding?  A tight gap between the door and fender paired with worn out hinges can certainly cause issues, as well as a loose or rusted lower fender.  Make sure that the bottom of the fender doesn't move in and out if you put some pressure on it, as well as making sure that it doesn't stick out farther than the rocker panel.

• Like 1

OK that's what I'll do. There's no sag in the hinges they look newer and no rust... I just got in from working on it and the bottom bolt that holds the fender down near the frame isn't even holding the fender. Looks like a passed jobber repair gone bad. I'm going to pull the fender and repair it.

Thanks for the, don't adjust the door till last advice, would of sucked to find this out afterwards.

• 3 months later...

So I got the fender back in its proper place, and I definitely need to move the door back about a 1/4 of an inch. Do i have to take off the fender to adjust the door hinges? The bolts seem awfully awkward to get to.