Dash Restore

Leghome

As many of you know I am restoring the dash out of my 72. What is the best way to strip the color off. I t was originally sandlewood/tan and painted black by the previous owner. I am redoing it in black since I redid the rest of the interior 3 years ago. The previous owner painted it gloss black and that does not suit my taste nor look all that good. I am going to redo it in trim black or semi gloss black. I tried using lacquer thinner and that is very time consuming. Next I tired acetone and it worked a lot better but not sure that is the best option. Also is there an aluminum like foil covering the whole dash? When I got the color off there a shiny looking surface that looks like aluminum to me. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciatedĀ 

I would use some acetone, but you probably don't need to strip it fully.Ā  SEM's surface adhesion promoter is mostly a mix of naphtha, toluene, and acetone.Ā  Too much of it may soften and remove the texture, so be careful.

Thanks Blackhawk The Sem adhesion promoter or the Bulldog promoter are both very good products. I have used the bulldog in the past and was very pleased with the results. Need to get some more acetone and this will be a slow process for sure. Will more than likely use an Axalta (formerly Dupont) finish on the dash if I do not decied to get a aftermaket one.

• 3 weeks later...