Motor mounts got here! ... now what?

Clever Idiot

Received my UMI motor mounts for the LS swap today! Very excited. And a little annoyed now (not the product's fault).

Maybe it's just because it's late and I'm brain fried, but is it possible to mount the frame side of the mounts without taking off the lower A-arms? I tried a few tricks I could think of and only succeeded in dropping washers into the frame that I had to fish out with a magnetic wand.

I have had luck in the past changing the frame mounts with an open end wrench through the hole in the crossmember. A little patience is needed there. Also have had luck jacking up the car, removing the tires and using an extension with a socket and a swivel on some into the frame where the lower control arm mounts. You may not need to remove the tires but it made the job easier for a “big” guy like me. Lolol good luck.

Well Cody, I gave the mounts another crack tonight. Decided to do some measuring before struggling with bolting them down, so I could see if they should be flipped like you were saying. Turns out these mounts only install one way - the passenger side is different than the driver's side. And while the passenger side has only 3 holes, the driver's side has 4 but only lines up with 3 on the Monte.

Looks like I'm going to need to get a different oil pan, too - I was hoping I wouldn't because the UMI mounts said they work with the LS1 pan, and I didn't realize how much variation there is between the LS1 and LS3 pans. Rookie mistake.

I still have my factory chassis-side motor mounts, though. So I'm wondering if different mounts would mean being able to keep the same oil pan and be cheaper overall. Then I could probably just return the UMI mounts. I saw you used Trans Dapt plates and Summit mounts - do you have part numbers for those, and which oil pan you have on yours?

Oh, and as far as firewall clearance, looks like it's going to have a good 5-6" of clearance at the back with these mounts. So I may go with a different oil pan anyway.

I'm using the following:

Swap Plate: Trans-Dapt 4572

Mounts: Summit SUM-7731122 poly engine/trans mounts

I didn't use the backing plates for the engine mounts, I think I did use the backing plate for the transmission mount to raise it up.

I'm using the LS1 oil pan.  It's the 'new' version from GM with the newer oil filter.

Here's information on the various oil pans out there: https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/pages.php?pID=8&CDpath=4_6

Fantastic. I appreciate the help. I've been crawling ls1tech too, but it's a bit of a jungle to navigate.

I was looking at the Dirty Dingo adjustable plates for flexibility, but those Trans Dapt plates (and Summit mounts vs Energy Suspension) are a heck of a price difference. From your pics it looks like you're totally fine with pan clearance at the frame. Any steering linkage clearance issues?

Is this the 'new' version LS1 pan you mean? From what I can tell it's the F-body pan. Figured I'd go this route with the pickup, windage tray, etc listed in that link.

No issues with the steering linkage that I can see.  The front tires hit the frame before my steering box locks out and before the grease zerks hit the oil pan.  The engine could move back a bit, but then I would be hitting the transmission hump (I'll probably have to run banjo bolts for the upper cooling line) and would have even less room for a low mounted A/C.

That's the new pan.  There's no difference between it and the original LS1 pan other than the oil filter stud.  Check with your local dealership for prices, I bought mine from a (somewhat) local dealer who was able to send me the pan for $230 after tax and shipping through a local delivery service.

• 4 years later...
On 1/4/2018 at 1:27 PM, Blackhawk said:

I'm using the following:

Swap Plate: Trans-Dapt 4572

Mounts: Summit SUM-7731122 poly engine/trans mounts

I didn't use the backing plates for the engine mounts, I think I did use the backing plate for the transmission mount to raise it up.

I'm using the LS1 oil pan.  It's the 'new' version from GM with the newer oil filter.

Here's information on the various oil pans out there: https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/pages.php?pID=8&CDpath=4_6

Sorry to highjack. Are you saying you didn’t use the motor mount backing plates that move the engine forward? Isn’t that the whole point?

I should add I’m in the middle of a swap of a 5.3 and a th350 and I used those same trans dapt mounts but I did use the back plates and I’m finding I’m about 1/2 inch off the bolt hole for the motor mount

I didn't use the plates that come with the poly mounts. They squish things together on a small block, but the adapter plate does the same thing so it would do nothing but add a minor amount of height.