Top of Grille Question

1970mcss

My 71 does NOT have black paint on any of the grill areas.

I just went out and took this picture of my (under hood) grill view.

I assume your's is painted black in this area shown in this picture.

Bruce

post-76-0-05336100-1519753567_thumb.jpg

This is how it came from the factory in 71. This is a replace grill after I crashed my 71 sometime in 1972. I really don't know if it is over spray from the "silver" paint look, found on all the non-chrome look areas or just how poor chrome looks when the base metal is NOT polished prior to the chrome process.

Good luck,

Bruce

Dennis, that looks great, did you repaint the entire grille??

Yes, Paul, here's a LINK to the photo journal I made of refurbishing a '70 grill. 

The key to this approach is careful and complete masking of the chrome edges on the front of the grill.  Once that job is done, I just sprayed black on the front and bumper chrome on the back and edges.  I've done three '70 grills this way and they all came out great.  Of course, I was fortunate to have three grills with virtually no chrome pitting on the front so I simply polished that with chrome polish.

By spraying the back from all four directions all of the sides of the egg crate cells get a brilliant finish that is most obvious from a side view as shown in the photos below.

post-567-0-99788600-1519779175_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-37828100-1519779244_thumb.jpg

• Like 1