Inner fender A frame shields staples

1970mcss

My car came with new shields and I bought new inner fenders but have no staples. Is there a special staple or can I use something from the hardware store..or does someone know where they can be purchased?

I know when you buy the inner fender dust shields at Classic Muscle they include the staples but I don't know if they sell them without buying the shields.  I checked Lutty's but couldn't find them.  

If I remember correctly the staples you can buy are nothing more than formed stainless steel wire.  I am trying to remember if I used staples or just bought some heavy guage stainless steel wire, about the same guage as the original staples in mine and then wove it through the holes and it has held up very well after almost 20 years.

rob

You can also use paper clips cut and shaped to form.  Easier to bend than the staples you get with some kits.  I used the plastic removable body rivets on mine.  They are super easy to install and blend in.

• Like 1

I used some plastic "Christmas tree" push pins, found in any auto body supply place.

Drilled holes and pushed the pins in, hold very nice and look decent too

I wondered what that pine smell was every time I approach your car Tony.... I always just assumed it was the pine scent you added to the green paint.

rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a pair from the Parts Place. Those of you that have installed the fender shields, Do you install the shields under the inner fender? Do they need to be trimmed? I have seen pictures on line that show the A frame shields on to or the engine side and the bottom side. And are there any installation tips? Any info would be great

post-6465-0-68087300-1522882571_thumb.jpeg

I installed mine the same as the originals were and I think that was on the engine side but my car is not stored here at my house so I can't go look at it to be sure.

rob

In Dan's picture in post #3 his are on the under side but the lip of the skirt looks different, that's why I asked if they need to be trimmed. Maybe Dan can chime in....

I believe these flaps go on top of the skirt. That's why there's a slight recess in the edge the flap attaches to.

Also, if on the bottom, dirt mud and road gunk can build up between the exposed flap edge and the skirt.

My manual has an index, pg O-A2.

I know that the factory workers didn't always follow the assembly manual. I believe changes were made in certain instances, due to Chevrolet finding a better way to assemble as the days went by.

Since I used non-original, Chevelle metal inner fenders, I read about how the Chevelle splash shields were installed. I found that they were installed both ways on them. I decided to go for the cleaner look and installed mine on the outside of the inner fenders. For the same reason, I installed the staples from the inside out.

I believe the plastic inners that my car came to me with were replaced at some time. They had no splash shields on them, and no staples, or holes for the staples. They only have the 2 holes from the factory for the push in fasteners, as shown in the assembly manual.

The shape of the shields for the plastic inners are different than those for the metal inners.

I wonder why I've never seen the push in fasteners included with the splash shields, only the staples. Do any of you with inner fenders that have never been modified have the push in fasteners in place, or were they not used?

Dan

post-339-0-58649200-1523057288_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-96643100-1523057548_thumb.jpg