What do you think?

vince

So I have been searching for am Air filter that balances out the engine compartment. After the LS conversion I bought a $60 "cold air intake" for a Chevy truck, it works just fine but it looks  a little out of place and the eye is drawn to the tube not the motor.  A friend Had a K&N filter off a 98-02 Camaro that he had no use for, so he gave it to me to try out. I would like to know your opinions, Or if you have any ideas of other filters that might work. so let me hear them lol.

k&n

spectra

Hey Vince, I like the second one but along the lines of a Dual One. Dave Kindig's Bitchen Rides had one they did on a 67 Chevelle I believe that came off the front as a Dual Tube intake inlet. Doing that Black tube in the same idea evens out under the hood and would tie in.and look great......

Just my thoughts 

Darren

• Like 1

First one, no way...sucking hot radiator air.

Second one is better.

I will have to look at it from my laptop later for a better opinion.

I'll look for that episode and check it out.

I was also thinking of using the piece off a 89 Iroc Z but I'm not sure the hood would close.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/unionfootball067/7316_182009123708_635153708_3924620.jpg

Bill do you think there would be a difference in air temp if the filter was behind the radiator as opposed to the filter on top of a carburetor?

An open element on top of the carb would be less hot than that one picture where it is directly in the flow of the radiator air which I assume there would be an electric fan blowing right on it.

I know it does not seem much further away but if you shoot a infrared thermometer where that one filter is and shoot it again towards the carb it would read cooler...this test would be with the car at operating temperature and the fans running.

On a side note (not suggesting you do exactly what I did) I played around with my intake system a while back and used my infrared thermometer trying to figure out the best cool air for my car. My conclusion for my car was to bring air from under the bumper via two ram air scoops and an enclosed air filter element. Eventually I put in a 6" inch tall (so it would stick two inches out) by 14" diameter filter and an open top style assembly. With my 4600 cfm fans my engine compartment is really not that warm. I also added a heat shield material under my assembly to further reflect heat.

21979060141_medium.jpg  21979060142_medium.jpg

Your hood would never close like in your last picture...no room to go over the top of the radiator.

• Like 1

Bill

that's a good point, Ill check the temp behind the radiator with the fans on and off and see what the difference is. The fan I use puts out 3500 CFM so i'm expecting to see a big difference.

Thanks for the info.

This is a 72 Monte, and the hood has no issues

Hopefully this will help.

I agree that one would be fine...the one in the third picture posted was "over" the top of the radiator and then in front of the radiator which would never allow the hood closed. I can't seem to open the picture in that post now.

Michael I had something similar to that but with out the shroud.

I like the look with the shroud it fills the big space in front of the engine.