1972 MC Custom Numbers?

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

• 3 weeks later...

This is the info on my 72 Custom

1972 Monte Carlo Custom, W code (454), buckets, Turbo 400, console, factory tach, gauges, tilt, sport wheel, rear window defogger, remote control mirror, lighting package (under dash, rear view mirror, under hood and trunk) and F41 performance suspension package. 
Original color was Midnight Bronze with Saddle interior. Now is white w/black vinyl roof and black interior.

Vin - 1H57W2K541736

rear end - RU C 308 1
trim plate -

ST72  13857  K. 169492BDY

TR 735  A51           68   68PNT

12A  03655

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Midnightflash said:

How do I know my 1972 Monte Carlo is a Custom or not? 

There are certain things you can spot real easy, absent a build sheet. Granted, those would be bolt on parts that anyone could add, but something to look at real quick.

First, would be the 'Monte Carlo Custom' emblems on the sail panels. Next, I look for the body colored 'aero/sport' type of side view mirror with remote cable inside. Rear sway bar and boxed lower control arms, and a larger front sway bar as well. Wider 'belt molding' (the approx 1" wide trim strip along the top of the doors and onto the rear quarters). 

Also look here, pretty good description as well:

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/72custom/

If you can find a build sheet, it would go a long way towards detailing what you really have. Typical locations are on top of the gas tank, behind the rear seat, etc. Other guys will chime in where they have found theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 11.0 JPG.xlsNew update on Custom Numbers. :B  Gotta couple more added and is Rev. 15, dated 10/11/2020.  Still incomplete info on a car or two but overall what has been identified.  Please review your info and advise if needed amended. :2beers:

Again appreciate your willingness to offer up the info. 

Doug 

Hi doug some info on my car needs changed #36 VIN is wrong should be 1h57u2l519803, also I have black interior and top, i also have 12 bolt open rear end, vinyl bucket seats and console, air, and made in Van Nuys and condition modified thanks for your time Anthony

Edited by layerac
add info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Appreciate the Heads Up Joe. :2beers:  I checked it against my Spreadsheet and is already Documented when I cross referenced the VIN# & the biggest reason for having it!  I have added a couple more to the Spreadsheet but have not updated on FGMCC Site yet.  There are (53) identified to date.

Please continue to alert me when locating any you see or hear about, even if you suspect already documented.  I will just cross reference it to ensure it isn't a duplicate.

Again thanx for your observance.  I have gotten several alerts from FGMCC Members along the way and instrumental in providing the best guess on their Roadable numbers.  I suspect their are not many more left to identify as I am getting more duplicates these days.

Take care,

Doug

• Like 1

Did 402 BB cars come with a Turbo 350 trans? I could probably dig around the GM Heritage spec sheets, but you guys will know the answer quicker than I could probably verify it. Also, it mentions  " VIN numbers matched" when describing the rebuilt turbo 350....

Got it Brent and thank you.  The VIN# wasn't provided and haven't found any on my Spreadsheet that would suggest a duplicate, so will include it.  I just finished documenting another that was a duplicate of a previous owner ending up with a FGMCC Member.  So, in Car #51, it shows current and underneath, previous owner just to try and keep things straight as possible.

Thanx for the Heads Up. :2beers:

Doug

10 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Did 402 BB cars come with a Turbo 350 trans? I could probably dig around the GM Heritage spec sheets, but you guys will know the answer quicker than I could probably verify it. Also, it mentions  " VIN numbers matched" when describing the rebuilt turbo 350....

I am under the impression all BB's had the TH400 from factory unless possibly requested otherwise?  That car you provided me is not entirely Stock as I watched the Video.  This would lead me to believe the transmission had been changed after assembly.  Someone will provide clarity, I am sure on if mismatched from the factory..

Doug  

• Like 1

I always thought the T350 was small block only, but T400 could go both ways.

I did dig around the GM Heritage spec sheets. Looks like the T-350 is available for both 2 & 4 bbl carb 350 cu. in. engines, with the T-400 spec'd for the 402 & 454. It also looks like the M40 T-400 is an option for the small block engines. 

Just odd that the description of the car says numbers matched, the writer takes pride in researching all descriptions, etc. Something doesn't add up. No build sheet, or window sticker to verify Z03 Custom option, though it does appear to have the most visible parts on the car (side view mirror, boxed control arms, emblems-lol).

Also just noticed this in the description after re-reading it, "Casting numbers and CLB stamp are correct for this car."    The VIN doesn't appear to match the engine stamp sequence number though, so I'm guessing not the original engine, but mated to the original small block transmission. Nice looking car though, wonder what it sold for.

• 2 weeks later...

72 Custom Numbers Rev. 17 update.  Entry #51 indicates a previous owner (in red lettering) in Data Base sold to current owner.  All documented and feel comfortable they are Customs even though not all have a Build Sheet to confirm.

Keep my posted if you come across any Customs.  I try and search but can't fine em all.  Appreciate All the support you guys have given me in this endeavor.  :2beers:

Doug

1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 17.0 JPG.xls

• 2 months later...

Hey Doug, 

As promised, I will update you on mine.  I bought it from Allan. It is #37 on your list.

YES    402 CI / TH400        YELLOW                    X    ALLANL1    ALLAN DISANDRO
    1H57U2K589365                AM / FM            X        CINCINNATI, OH.
37            BLACK                    X        

Jeff Roeger, Brunswick, Ohio

All the typical Custom options plus:

Power windows

Tach/gauge package

Defroster

Buckets/Console

Tilt/Sport Steering Wheel

A/C

• 2 months later...

Added updates and adjustments to the spread sheet!  There are now 56 confirmed with 3 yet to be identified as Customs.  I separated those (Unconfirmed) to the bottom of the page and scrolling down you will see them.  I adjusted the data base and looks slightly different from the moves but is as close to accurate as I know it.  I also realized requests were made as I looked over prior messages from this Thread and I had missed those along the way.  I would request that in the future, please PM me as I will absolutely get those and I can update in real time.  If anyone has any issues with your data, again, PM me.

Doug  

1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 18.0 JPG.xls

• 2 months later...

Here are the latest additions that I have been able to document in some detail.  Of the 69 identified, it looks as 26 of those 69 have Confirmed Build Sheets matching their Cars records.  I am sure there are others, but until I can garner that info, 26 confirmed.  Also, 13 are from Facebook Monte Group possibilities/discoveries yet to be fully documented, if any are willing.

This update has been once again altered by removing some personal information shown in the last Box of previous document.  This New one will have that part of info stored in another Folder for additional info if needed to change/edit current document information.  This hopefully makes it easier for those who are reluctant to help ease that fear.

Any questions, advise, sightings and details GREATLY appreciated.  Over the past 3 years, with all the searching I have been doing, they are getting really hard to locate others and am wondering if we are getting within striking distance of a Best Guess for roadable Customs?  I'll continue looking........................

1972 MONTE CARLO CUSTOM DATABASE.xlsx

Doug

• 3 months later...

Another Update headed your way but don't go :yay::yay::yay: (sorry, Got the Willie virus).:doh:  But before I Post it, I had made some minor changes to better describe those that are Confirmed and are Most Likely vs. those that are suspicious and require more or all documentation.

I have identified (60) with (57) Confirmed & (3) yet to be confirmed.  The remaining possible's  have not been replied to or answered back and are primarily from Facebook Market Place.  They will remain here until a Confirmation can be determined with VIN# and other identifiers.  Their contact info via Facebook messaging has been separated to a different media until I receive permission(s) from them to Post.

Still believe less than 100 anywhere and in time, hope we can find that Sweet Spot with everyone's help. :2beers:

Stay Safe All..........................

Doug

1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 20 MODIFIED.JPG.xls