1972 MC Custom Numbers?

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

I happened to see this post as I was looking for something else...huh...

I had a Custom back in the mid 80's and I thought I might just know where my build sheets are...sure as heck, found them.  Last I saw that car it was covered with a tarp and the RF corner was mashed in but good.  I left MN for AZ shortly thereafter so I have no idea what ever happened to it.  But now I think I will try to find out.  In the meantime I am attaching the build sheet from my old Custom.

On a side note, when I pulled out the old build sheet from my previously owned Custom, I found another build sheet behind the one for that car.  The Vehicle Identification Number in the upper right was one number less (629205) than my old car (629206). 

I found the same thing with my current (non-Custom) 72 Monte.  Another build sheet behind the one for the car I own (632232) just one number less (632231).  Is this common or something they did back in the day?  Either way I have 4 build sheets but only one 1972 Monte Carlo (booo...).

72 Monte Carlo Custom (owned previously)_1.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Here is the latest update on the Customs.  Not a lot of new vehicles added but there are a couple.  Many shown on Facebook when I search it for 1972 Monte Carlo Customs which I had documented into a Section lower down from what I classify as those Confirmed.  Most haven't responded to my queries for their information but I do at least have some available info on them.  Hopefully, those that want theirs Documented will loosen up over time.

Any questions, please advise.  Please review your info and if incorrect, incomplete, please advise.  Every now and then I am finding a error I had made when publishing that info but believe I have made necessary corrections.  Just because I have quite a few listed doesn't mean if one is seen, that it has been documented.  So if unsure, gather the info or forward it to me for addition or correction.  Having the VIN goes a long way in ensuring I don't duplicate................... 

Will update again once I have gathered enuff new info.  Thanx for the Help...................... 😁

Doug 

1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 20.0 JPG.xls

Edited by 72-CLASSIC_RIDE

On 1/10/2022 at 5:28 PM, jahroy72 said:

I happened to see this post as I was looking for something else...huh...

I had a Custom back in the mid 80's and I thought I might just know where my build sheets are...sure as heck, found them.  Last I saw that car it was covered with a tarp and the RF corner was mashed in but good.  I left MN for AZ shortly thereafter so I have no idea what ever happened to it.  But now I think I will try to find out.  In the meantime I am attaching the build sheet from my old Custom.

On a side note, when I pulled out the old build sheet from my previously owned Custom, I found another build sheet behind the one for that car.  The Vehicle Identification Number in the upper right was one number less (629205) than my old car (629206). 

I found the same thing with my current (non-Custom) 72 Monte.  Another build sheet behind the one for the car I own (632232) just one number less (632231).  Is this common or something they did back in the day?  Either way I have 4 build sheets but only one 1972 Monte Carlo (booo...).

72 Monte Carlo Custom (owned previously)_1.jpg

Sorry I missed your question, don't get on here as often as I used to.  As to your question, yes, some of the Factory's once used would hide them (I found 2 in Mine for my Car) inside the vehicle and even on top of gas tanks as examples.  Duplicates and sometimes another's Build Sheet(s) may end up in one car.  There are a couple GM factories where they explicitly left them out as I believe it depended on the facility to enforce or allow it.

I appreciate you making the effort to provide this info and please remember me in the future should you believe another Custom has been located.  I will simply compare (if VIN #) to ensure not duplicated.

Here is a Excel copy of Spreadsheet if you have Microsoft Excel to view it.  Even then it is an older version and MS isn't supporting the older version.  One day I will have to upgrade when their pricing falls back down into reality...................

Thanx again,

Doug

1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 20.0 JPG (1).xls

• 2 months later...

Have a New Update to share.  Added a couple of Confirmed recently making 63 Confirmed and around 30 that might be but not enuff info to prove such.  Attempted getting input but have very little success especially via Facebook Groups.  There may be duplicates here as well, but again, not enuff info.

Anything you may see, please advise even if you are unsure I may already have it documented.  These are becoming further and further apart between identifying that might suggest the Trail is drying up, but time will provide that.

Will continue providing updates as they pop up and latest update is the last Revision Number used, currently Revision 22 dated 07/05/2022.

Regards,

Doug

1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 22. JPG.xls

• Like 1

Doug- New/old member (12 yr lapse) just rejoined. Reading older forum posts, discovered the Custom database. Please add this vehicle :

Original and current owner, delivery date 4/10/72    Original window sticker, documenting:

Vehicle # 1H57J21557308   , listing following options: Pewter Silver, Black Vinyl interior, Automatic Level Control G67, K85 63 amp generator, L48 175 hp 350, M40 Turbo Hydramatic, P90 G70 15 belted white stripe tires, T60 Heavy Duty Battery, U14 special instrumentation, V01 Heavy duty radiator, Z03 Custom Equip- Belt Molding, Mirror, Special steering wheel, auxiliary lighting, special sound proofing, sport suspension, 15x7 wheels, G70x15 tires, custom wheel covers ( paid 213.45 for the  Z03  option) as printed on sticker.  I ordered it for family use and to tow a trailer, needed the heavy duty suspension. Currently has a ZZ1 350 replacing original 350 which I still have.  Will elaborate if questions.  Jerry

image.jpeg

IMG_3974.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 72Chebby said:

Doug- New/old member (12 yr lapse) just rejoined. Reading older forum posts, discovered the Custom database. Please add this vehicle :

Original and current owner, delivery date 4/10/72    Original window sticker, documenting:

Vehicle # 1H57J21557308   , listing following options: Pewter Silver, Black Vinyl interior, Automatic Level Control G67, K85 63 amp generator, L48 175 hp 350, M40 Turbo Hydramatic, P90 G70 15 belted white stripe tires, T60 Heavy Duty Battery, U14 special instrumentation, V01 Heavy duty radiator, Z03 Custom Equip- Belt Molding, Mirror, Special steering wheel, auxiliary lighting, special sound proofing, sport suspension, 15x7 wheels, G70x15 tires, custom wheel covers ( paid 213.45 for the  Z03  option) as printed on sticker.  I ordered it for family use and to tow a trailer, needed the heavy duty suspension. Currently has a ZZ1 350 replacing original 350 which I still have.  Will elaborate if questions.  Jerry

image.jpeg

IMG_3974.jpeg

Gorgeous Jerry.  Pewter is my favorite color.  I will add your info into the data base and Post a revised copy to this thread in the near future.  Glad to see you back in the Group....:2beers:

P.S.  Any info not shown in data base for your Ride is because I don't have that info, like Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo Radio and the like.  Once I Post the update, I can change, modify anytime should you provide more info.  So see if anything needs added and then let me know.

Doug

Edited by 72-CLASSIC_RIDE
Added more info to Post.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New Update (REV. 23) with a modified Page Look.  Instead of Top/Bottom, I moved to Side By Side for better visibility of those I searched/Found but DoNot have enuff info to confirm.  (2) New Customs added for a total of (66) Confirmed.  Also corrected a couple three items I noticed were not correct. :doh:

In order to capture the maximum, drawing others to this Page might open the Window for more visibility.  Word of Mouth can be a Positive directing them to Thread.  Attended a couple local Car Shows recently and am putting out the word, particularly to those who stop, comment on Car explaining it isn't just a 72 Monte, pointing out the Custom badges, letting them know I am Documenting them for a Grand Total.  I suspect others have downloaded spreadsheet and that's fine.  Again, exposure.............  :yay: Wow, there's that pesky Banana again!

Appreciate all the info provided by the Group as I may not offer that often enuff :2beers:

Doug

1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 23.0 JPG.xls

• 4 months later...

Hey Doug, here's another Custom that Glen found. It's for sale, but they did send him a picture of the build sheet which does verify it to be a Custom. Here's the info if you want to add it to the list.

https://cramauto.com/vehicle/1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo/

Dennis first pointed out the 'Custom' emblems are backwards (both sides), plus a few other issues we noticed. Car initially came with a Green vinyl top, now it's black. probably when the emblems got replaced incorrectly.

EDIT: I noticed the VIN doesn't appear to be clear on the blue door tag, and is cut off on the top right of the build sheet. All that shows is the 'Body Number',  (655528), which also matches the cowl tag. I asked Glen to get a better VIN from the dealer. Blowing up the blue tag almost appears the last few of the VIN may be - K600085, though.

20221228_(3).jpg

20221228_(2).jpg

20221228_(1).jpg

20221228_.jpg

Hi Joe,

Thanx for the Heads Up.  What was your concern with the Vin #?   Both the Cowl/Build Sheet Numbers display Duplicate Matching Cowl/Build Sheet VIN Serial Numbers BUT, that isn't the case with the Blue Door VIN TAG pic.  It shows #600085 vs. the Vin Serial Number of Matching Cowl/Build Sheet VIN Serial Numbers #605528!  That is a discrepancy that needs understood.  I enlarged the Blue Vin Tag pic and verified my view was correct and to see if I could find any suspicion with the Door Vin Decal but couldn't tell anything unusual.  This needs to be clarified, something appears to be wrong here.  I will look thru my Data Sheet and see if any matches to either VIN # shows up and get back with you Guys.   I will pull out my xtra Custom Tags/Monte Sail Panel Script and see if it is possible to reverse them as Pin locations would have to match exact.

Thanx Glen for pointing out the Custom, MUCH APPRECIATED! and Joe for bringing it to my attention.

Regards,

Doug

• Like 1

The VIN is only on the blue door tag in all of the available pictures, and is a little hard to make out clearly, but I believe it to be #600085. That is the number that you need for your spreadsheet.

The number on the Cowl tag & the Build Sheet upper right corner, 605528 is NOT the VIN number, it is a "Body Number". The cowl tag itself, does not ever contain the VIN number, just that 'Body Number'. I believe the VIN on the build sheet is cut off at the very top, with the bottom of those numbers barely visible in the uppermost right corner, above the visible "Body Number".

I know it's confusing, but only because on this particular car, the VIN & Body Number are both so similar. I initially thought it was a deceptive ploy by the seller, but looking at the research data, all appears to be correct.

My only concern, is the VIN on the blue door tag was a little hard to read, but blown up enough it seems somewhat legible at #600085. I believe if we had a complete copy of the Build sheet, those exact numbers will be displayed in the uppermost corner, to match the blue tag.

Soooo, long story short, if you're comfortable with using the blown up decipher of the numbers on the blue tag to be #600085, that is perfect for your sheet. 😁

• Like 1

Rob is correct. The number in the box to the left of the VIN box is the body number which appears (without the ‘BK’) on the trim tag.  It’s just a bad picture of the build sheet cutting off those particular numbers in the VIN.  I found the first link with this car on the other website and the VIN number is 600085. This is confirmed through the picture of the title the dude sent me.  All appears legit, observe…

F18183FF-AAF8-4B15-9F38-1A30B980394C.png

5EB40CB0-AA0C-4EDE-B407-EA21BA1BB903.png

27B63E9D-0320-4B19-AF7C-15ACDD5D5EEE.png

D4C0354D-9CD1-4016-BFD3-29869827C7C4.jpeg

• Like 1

That clears up my confusion Joe as i didn't consider the Cowl Tag being Body Number.  I will get this info onto the Spreadsheet pronto and Post the update.  There will be one other that I added a month or so back but hadn't Posted it yet.

Thanx Guys:2beers:

Doug

Here is my latest Revision with newest updates.  Those grey shaded cells have not been added to those which I haven't had enough info to fill out Options and as available if at all, will add those fields.  New update is Revision 24 dated 12/29/2022.1972 MONTE CRLO CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 24.0 JPG.xls

23 hours ago, mon-tss said:

Don't know if this one is on here yet or not.

Sold it acouple years ago. It is dark green with black top now

100_1918.JPG

Appreciate your info Lyle.:)  Yours was built same Plant as another recent find I added just above yours on the Spreadsheet.  Been a pretty dry spell lately but in short order, another 3 added for a total of (69) to date.  Having your guys eyes has gone along way in compiling this.:2beers: to you all...

Doug

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Doug,

I found another Custom on FB, for sale. It's a little rough, but has the build sheet & cowl tag shown. Van Nuys built.

VIN as I'm able to piece it together:   1H57U2L 518321 

331080939_614107367144953_4679262444059364215_n.jpg

331246837_580329477302234_1934670393188106382_n.jpg

331040310_1261990611341329_2862794276302938342_n.jpg

• Thank You! 1

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

Doug,

I found another Custom on FB, for sale. It's a little rough, but has the build sheet & cowl tag shown. Van Nuys built.

VIN as I'm able to piece it together:   1H57U2L 518321 

331080939_614107367144953_4679262444059364215_n.jpg

331246837_580329477302234_1934670393188106382_n.jpg

331040310_1261990611341329_2862794276302938342_n.jpg

Looking over the Build Sheet I saw an RPO Code that I am unfamiliar with, it is (K19)?  It describes it as "AIR INJECT REACT"?  Also an RPO Code for "DUAL EXHAST" I had not seen before.

Doug

1972 MONTE CUSTOM BUILD SHEET.jpg