Hood hinges?

I'm not satisfied with my hood alignment. I've been trying to adjust it. When it's closed, the rear of the hood is close to the driver side fender. When I raise it, it shifts to the other side, almost to the point of touching the passenger side fender. The hinges "look" fine, but I have to wonder if they need to be rebuilt, or replaced. All of the hinge points are tight. Has anyone here used reproduction hinges with good success? If so, what brand?

Dan

Try to find a set from a 70 Monte. They have a fatter spring and  the hinge is heavier metal. I put a set on my 71 Monte and the hood stands up great and I have mirror stainless under the hood which makes the hood even heavier.

Carl

I would suggest having yours rebuilt rather then aftermarket.  I had a few sets of mine done and they are great.  The guys who does them is an expert.

Thanks!!
Mike

This car is a '70 and the hood stays up fine. The side shifting is the problem. I found a guy at Chevelletech.com that rebuilds originals. There's also a company doing them.

Mike, who did you use?

I took the driver side off and quickly found a broken washer sticking out from under a rivet head. I'll have to rebuild them, or have it done.

Dan

post-339-0-88840100-1523201412_thumb.jpg

Carl, our 71 is black and the 70 is red/black.

I talked to Willie at hoodhingerepair.com a couple of times today. After drilling the rivets out of both hinges, comparing the 2 hinges and finding they have different center to center dimensions for the top 2 rivets, and then sending him some pics, we determined one is a junky reproduction hinge. I have the originals, so I removed all the rivets on another and I now have an original pair ready for blasting and rebuilding.

I have an extra 71 hinge, so I compared it to my 70s. They are the same.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

How about the spring? I'm sure the 70 spring is a larger diameter> let me know what you find on the difference of the springs.

Carl

I think my '70 springs are bigger diameter than the '71. My son has the '71 Monte at his house, but I think I remember noticing that once before. The hinge I was comparing to the other day did didn't have a spring on it.

Dan

They must be a different brand than the ones I have. I'm glad yours are good. I bought mine from a past member here, a few years ago. He said they were replated originals. I got them and didn't try them until a year or so back. One was found to be bad at that time, and now the second has a broken wave washer under a rivet head. The hinge is so loose I can't align the hood. The design of the rivets is what convinced the hinge rebuilder that they are not GM parts.

Dan