Halo top

sredmyer

So I have a friend who is looking at buying a 1970 project.  The car he is looking at is missing most of the vinyl top and trim.  He says it looks like may have been a full halo car originally but it looks like the front trim studs were ground off.  So the question he asked me (if he buys the car) was whether he should put it back to full halo or just go with the 1971 style top.  I really wasn't sure how to answer because I personally like the full halo look better but I am not sure how difficult it would be to relocate and install the front trim studs.  For that matter I am not even sure those can be purchased.

Anyway, I thought I would put the question to the group and see what you all thought.

Thanks

Steve,

I would let him decide.  I personally also like the full halo top but since I have a 70 with one that may be swaying my opinion.  I would show him several pictures of one with and without the full halo tops and let him decide which he likes better.

You can purchase new screw in studs that I have heard work well and think that would be the least costly than trying to weld studs back on.

rob 

Having both style tops, from the factory on 2 red Monte's I prefer the full top as opposed to the halo. It is his car and his choice. When was the car built? That can/may settle the choice. Good luck!

• Like 1

Steve,

I would let him decide.  I personally also like the full halo top but since I have a 70 with one that may be swaying my opinion.  I would show him several pictures of one with and without the full halo tops and let him decide which he likes better.

You can purchase new screw in studs that I have heard work well and think that would be the least costly than trying to weld studs back on.

rob 

Rob - Is there a book somewhere that would specify where the studs should be located?  He said that he can only see a couple and he is not really sure if they are actually ground off studs or not.

• Like 1

Not that I know of Steve.  I am not sure if a 70 assembly manual would have this information or not  Maybe a member who has their vinyl top off could take some pictures for him.  I don't really know if the exact placement of the studs is all that critical but just to be sure I would rely on feedback from a member with their top and trim removed.

rob

if you want the halo... purchase the trim and place it on the car in a ghost position  and mark where it is on the car.... then you will know where the studs can go

• Like 1