Need help with camshaft choice!

o_rod

Hey guys,

I'd like to toss in a new camshaft/lifters/double roller chain as I feel my exisitng cam isn't taking advantage of my current mods and don't know the history of the timing chain.

Going to stay with a hydraulic flat tappet, engine is a 355, 10:1, 461 heads, 4.11 gears, 3500 stall, th350 and a 28" rear tire.

I'd like to shift the power band up a bit to take advantage of my gear and stall. I was looking at the lunati voodoo 60104 or the comp cams big mutha thumpr. These are big aggressive grinds, would it be too much for my double hump heads? any recommendations?

I have had good luck with the Voodoo grinds, albeit in big blocks. The Mutha Thumpr grinds are suited for more show than go. The 60104 is a great cam in the right combo. Unfortunately those heads will probably be holding you back. The engine would run great ( make sure you install the correct springs ) but with a good set of aftermarket heads would be a beast. Personally if you want to stay with the 461's I would run the 60103 grind. Good luck David   

• 4 weeks later...

All I can say is go hydraulic roller if at all possible. 

We have seen way to many cam failures here with flat tappets due to the removal of zinc in commercial oils.  Steve threw a rod through the side of his oil pan after very few miles. Close call on a numbers matching motor.

The zinc is what provides great lubrication on metal to metal contact.  You used to be able to get the diesel oils (still had zinc) but they have also removed the zinc now.  

Zinc was found to destroy catalytic converters, hence the removal.  Since all new cars are hydraulic rollers, no problem right.

Play it safe and spend a lil extra, or wait a lil longer, and go hydraulic roller.  You will avoid flat tappet failure and a short term forced rebuild.

Most engine builders still recommend using Racing Oils (that have Zinc, bc for racing/off road use only they can still have it) or to add zinc additive ...... even if your running a hydraulic roller.

I have a Crower dual duration cam in mine and very happy with it.  But mine is a big block.  I am sure they have similar available for a small block.

Just my two cents.

Dan

• Like 1

I agree with Dan...roller is the way to go but I didn't throw a rod..... A lifter literally came apart and the pieces fell into the rotating assembly and was shot out through the oil pan. Missed the block by less than an inch. In any case, stay away from Comp Cams in my opinion (others may disagree), the quality is sub par.

Steve

I had an Erson Roller cam and roller tip rockers installed in my 350 2 years ago along with a .0020 bore and flat top pistons. Very happy with my setup.

• 1 month later...

While I would love to use a roller type it just isn't in the budget. I've always used diesel oil and a quart of break in oil during oil changes and never seen any ill effects of using a flat tappet. I totally understand the benefits, but I'd put that cash towards some aluminum heads first.

Bryan:

Get the heads you want BEFORE getting a cam. The heads will dictate what cam will work best. Then CALL a reputable cam manufacturer and tell them what you have and what you want to accomplish. This is, by far, the best way to get what you will be happy with. Work with the people that understand cam technology.

Now my shameless plug: 

My favorite is Straub Technologies, Piney Flats, Tennessee. Chris can set you up with a flat tappet if that's what you want, but his specialty is rollers. He also sets up heads for a good price and will steer you in the right direction. 

My 454 Chevelle has a Straub Tech cam, spec'ed for the heads I run. It has gramma car drivability and just screams when I hit the loud pedal. Oh, so fun to drive.   :shifter:

I'm currently saving to put Straub built heads and roller cam in the Monte in my signature. I wish I could do it today, but I know it's worth the wait to do it right.  As long as you can currently drive your car, keep driving/saving and do it once. You will not regret it.

Best of luck

:2beers:

Scott

• Like 1

I’ll second what Scott said. Call and talk to Chris at Straub Technologies. He is very well respected in his field. He will discuss your wants and needs and recommend the right cam for your engine. Well worth your time.