HOUSE OF KOLOR PAINT

Steve G

Hello everyone,

California has just about banned every paint product i like... pretty soon i think i will be crushing berries and using carrot juice as a toner to make paint.

But for now I need to move over to House OF Kolor for candy paints.

I believe in following the tech sheets and staying within the paint systems (no cocktail mixing or chemist mix match of products) but the local paint suppliers cant give any advice because they simply sell paint.. oh how the times have changed. At one time a paint store required that the salesman had experience with their products they sell, not anymore.

Im about to paint a car that is a seriously high end build ($200,000+) and im going to be throwing House of Kolor on it. The fun part of this is i have not sprayed their candy products in over 10 years.

So i have been doing research all over and looking for advice from people that have had hands on experience with their current products. advice, warnings, tips are all welcome.

This is not a "how do i spray candy paint" question. I do know how to spray candy with zero streaks or blems. But i sure as heck dont want to find out something about HOK products during the paint process.. or even worse find out after its painted that it will all peel off or something like that.

I will be painting the jambs first and the outside all assembled .. i normally like to paint all apart to avoid tape lines in the jambs but the color will be sensitive to overlap buildup and i dont want dark edges around all the panels. So any advice on how to back blend the jambs or some way to minimize the tape lines will be appreciated . The tape line will be quite hefty considering the sealer, base, mid-coat and clear will be building up against  it

Thanks!

The shop that redid my 72 in 2013 has now started to do the sealer and ten remove the tape and lightly sand, Prime and repeat the process. I suggested they do it like when you do custom stripping by putting on several different levels of tape all within a fraction of the last and to just peal off a layer between coats and lightly sand the edges until they get to the last coat of clear. I have used this  on other projects and have no build up line problem.

Steve, about the best way I found to do the jambs is with the 3m ez edger machine/  

you probably use it already, the one that just folds the edge of the tape over on itself. It works best with a transparent sealer, colored ones always seem to go in farther than the basecoat for some reason! The foam tape seems to leave a hard edge all the time no matter how you do it. Unless you consider taping it up so you can open and close the doors while spraying, but again this is going to leave darker edges around your doors unless you just avoid going in the jambs with the candy, Ive never had much luck painting them unless all together like your doing, and I was never totally happy with the edges in the jambs.

Spraying in California seems to be next to impossible at this point, and I feel your pain on the lack of support from jobbers, the big MSO shops have squeezed them so tight that even the local finishmaster stores are shutting down and consolidating locations.

Good luck with the job, Id love to see some pics as it progresses 

1101503.jpg

• 2 months later...

ok so let me tell you the final outcome..... i sprayed all the door jambs then i went with two tape lines in the jambs when doing the outside..... first tape was to control how far the sealer and blue base went in, then remove the fineline and allow the candy and clear to go in a tad further... end result it looked terrible.. somehow the candy and clear never went in even half what the sealer traveled, And to top it off the body came out a totally different shade of the same color. 

I have now found the best way to solve this issue.... paint the car first to see what color the car will actually end up (candy paint sometimes makes the decision for you) then do the jambs . it came out perfect with only the faintest  transition in color and no dull fuzzy clear edge

• 2 weeks later...